Need iMac Advice, Should I wait Til January??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Amacg08, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Amacg08 macrumors newbie

Will the rumored updates of the iMac be of the entire machine and cosmetic looks or just a CPU upgrade?

I currently have a Dell PC and am really looking forward to switching to mac, but I would rather wait for the sake of a few weeks to get a newer model for the same $$$..

Thanks and Regards,

amacg08!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The case won't be redesigned; that just happened.

The only change to the case will be the removal of FireWire 400 and the swapping of Mini DVI for Mini DisplayPort.

Yes, wait until MacWorld at least.

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I think it will just be a speed bump not a redesign. I personally think it is more likely the firewire 400 will be on the new iMac as firewire 400 is still on the white macbook. When they do redesign the case it is likely that it will come off then though.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's because they didn't update it at all! They had old stock left over and are clearing it out! It's the old model; they're not going to put any effort into redesigning the past!

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Why do you think they will remove the FireWire 400 socket?

I thought the only reason it had to go on the MacBook was due to lack of space. There is loads of room on the back of an iMac so why would they need to remove it?

6. Amacg08 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

But they did update it. The old one had a combi drive while the new one has a superdrive. So they aren't just selling the old ones. (By the way I'm not saying they should be congratulated for this it was well overdue, Just pointing out it is a different machine.)

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Possible when there is a redesign defiantly. I'm just not sure right now.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That could happen. I would recommend waiting if you don't need to buy straight away.

Then, if you are not impressed with the new iMac you will be able to pick up the outgoing model with a good discount.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well said. That is exactly my advice, too.

Cheers and good luck

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So, in essence, absolutely nothing has changed regarding the case. Apple put no effort into changing it because they're phasing it out, just as they are FireWire 400. End of story.

12. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

As I've already said I think they'll get rid of firewire 400 when they change the case. I just don't think that they are changing the case this time round and so they will still have firewire 400. Which is why I mentioned the white macbook, to illustrate that old cases still had their old parts.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They'll be adding Mini DisplayPort, so while they're doing that, they may as well drop what they're going to drop anyway.

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

the problem with waiting is that nobody has any idea when the imac will be updated. If it's a minor update, as seems likely, then it will almost certainly not be at MWSF, but rather will be an unheralded update sometime in Q1 2009. Jan, Feb, March - it's anyone's guess. Sometimes apple waits a really long time between updates for no real reason (mac mini) and those who wait are left frustrated for like 6 months.

15. Amacg08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all of your replies!

Thank you for all of your replies!

I really would like to wait but im gonna be frustrated either way if I dont get one I no I will be, and if I wait like 3 or 4 months it would be just as bad.

Im really looking forward to switching so I will be getting the 24" model tomoro with 2GB RAM and 320GB HDD.. I am also going to order the 4GB memory kit from Crucial.com to upgrade that myself.

Again thanks for all your replies,
    Regards
    amacg08

16. Amacg08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got It!

:D

Ok, I got the iMac last nite! ...

And all I can say is its amazing, I went for what I said 24" 2.8, 320GB, 2 GB RAM
    iv been using it all day and had nothing but fun! BUT....

My gf got it as a xmas gift and it has to go back in the box :eek: :mad: :(

So again thanks for your replies and I look forward to speaking with u all as I learn how
    to use it..

amacg08