Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StuartMc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Hi, I came home today to find my Intel iMac wasn't working properly. I can only get to the login screen and the keyboard and mouse won't work. It's definitely not a problem with the hardware and it was working fine earlier and I haven't touched them since then. They also work with my other computer. I think I may have done something to a system file (Earlier I was doing that thing that allows your iPhone to go into DFU mode in 10.5.6). If I could get in, I know what files to fix. Is there even any way just to system restore the whole thing? There isn't anything too essential on there and it could do with a cleaning out anyway.

P.S. I'm not sure if I have any disks for it as I bought it second hand off eBay a few months ago. If that's what it requires, I can have a look for them.

Thanks.

Edit: I just remembered, the file I was altering was the USB files so I must have messed something up.

Edit x2: Is there any way of using a laptop as the keyboard and mouse, or sonething like that?

mastershakess

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Bel Air, MD
Hi, I came home today to find my Intel iMac wasn't working properly. I can only get to the login screen and the keyboard and mouse won't work. It's definitely not a problem with the hardware and it was working fine earlier and I haven't touched them since then. They also work with my other computer. I think I may have done something to a system file (Earlier I was doing that thing that allows your iPhone to go into DFU mode in 10.5.6). If I could get in, I know what files to fix. Is there even any way just to system restore the whole thing? There isn't anything too essential on there and it could do with a cleaning out anyway.

P.S. I'm not sure if I have any disks for it as I bought it second hand off eBay a few months ago. If that's what it requires, I can have a look for them.

Thanks.

Edit: I just remembered, the file I was altering was the USB files so I must have messed something up.

Edit x2: Is there any way of using a laptop as the keyboard and mouse, or sonething like that?

Call APPLE for replacement restore disks

StuartMc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
But I was wondering if I will be able to restore with a disk without being able to use the mouse or keyboard.

I'd still rather I found a way of getting the mouse connected without USB or PS/2. I'd only need in for a second to fix the file.

linuxophile

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
here
But I was wondering if I will be able to restore with a disk without being able to use the mouse or keyboard.

I'd still rather I found a way of getting the mouse connected without USB or PS/2. I'd only need in for a second to fix the file.

If you have another mac you can start up your imac in target mode (press T at startup). The imac will be usable as an external harddisk.

Or: if you can log-in remotely (ssh) you can fix it.

Curiosity: why did you mess with the USB config files?

Remark: there was a very similar post sometime yesterday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.