need immediate help with hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jlreed1, Aug 5, 2009.

1. jlreed1 macrumors member

i'm literally two steps away from installing a new hard drive and i can't get the torx screws out. is it absolutley vital i take them out and put them in the new hard drive?

thanks
    jlr

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Er... If I remember correctly, there should be three phillips screws on the "L" bracket and then four phillips on the drive carrier. I'm not sure where you're getting ANY torx...

*heads to ifixit*

Ah, four torx. Yes, you need to get those off to put the new drive in the carrier.

You really need to have a torx screwdriver for this, but if you're okay with ruining the screws, you can use a flathead screwdriver that is small enough to fit in the torx head.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

go buy some torx screws! they are so cheap! dont ruin them.

4. jlreed1 thread starter macrumors member

Just ran over to a friend's house who messes with computers a lot. Got everything sorted out and I'm posting from my 13" uMB with a new 500 gig hard drive.

Thanks for the quick responses!
    JLR

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yewww!!! the hard drive space fills up quickly believe me. it will be gone before you know it

goodluck!

6. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Oh how right you are! Going from a computer with limited space of 70GB (lots of which wasn't used by me, family computer), then going to a laptop with 120GB all to myself I thought it would be great. Then I got an external 500GB hard drive... now I wish it was a 1TB hard drive... How can I use up so much space so quickly?! xD

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its really crazy!! i have around 5TB of storage sitting at my house, with barely 2TB left at most. it just gets filled up!! when i get out into the workforce a very nice big RAID system is in order :):)