Need info on buying a MacBook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blackmanlovemac, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Joined:
    Mar 4, 2009
    Hello

I looking to buy my new MacBook pro I coming from a PowerBook G4

so I'm looking to order a 17" macbook pro but I'm trying to decide on the 2.66 or 2.93

Also 320GB 5400 vs 7200

This is going to be used in my music studio .. I use logic pro and other highend audio programs .. Also I use my mac on weekend for my DJ job

Also I do a little film editing but will be doing more when I go to school in the fall

So I hope you guys that have your MacBook can help me out

Thanks

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Definitely 7200 on the drive, and if your using student discount then get the 2.93 processor, otherwise im sure 2.66 would be fine for you.

3. blackmanlovemac thread starter Guest

I would use it but I'm will not be a student until the fall but I need a mac now the PowerBook is old school

But I don't want to get the 2.66 then wish I had the 2.93

I wish apple this have the 17" come with the 2.93 and 7200 rpm drive for $2799

4. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

Apple doesn't really check on who uses the student discount. Just use the school you will be attending as your school and you'll be fine and get the discount. I would go with the 7200RPM drive, and the 2.93ghz. Although, I think there maybe a 3.06ghz option coming in April/May if you can wait.

You might also wait until June and get a free iPod.

5. blackmanlovemac thread starter Guest

I hope I'm doing the right thing !!!!?

Ok people I need a new mac like I said the powerbook is old school so I'm going to order

macbook pro 2.93Ghz
    320 7200 rpm hard drive
    antiglare display
    Apple Care

Anything else will 4GB memory serve me well

Hoping to Order tonight

6. blackmanlovemac thread starter Guest

Well I don't care for iPod I have iPhone 3G 16GB

And I can wait but the powerbook can't it's almost dead .. And I need it for work so I have to buy ASAP

7. nilk macrumors 6502a

I have this exact machine at work (with 4GB), pretty happy with it so far after a week of using it (for software development).

Hard drive speed is the bottleneck in most computing tasks, so go with the 7200 RPM drive in any case.

2.66 vs 2.93 isn't going to make that much of difference for most tasks. 8GB is way too expensive right now, only get it if you really need it (which doesn't sound like you will) or have a huge budget.

8. flanamac macrumors 6502

With that type of use, get the most you can for your budget. Even 8GB of RAM if you think you need it.

Thsi sounds like an order for using the computer for serious stuff, so you don't want to skimp. I think that the choices really for your are SSD or not and 8GB vs 4GB of RAM. The increase to 7200 HD and .3 GHZ of speed are not that costly.