Need input on selling a PS2

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by drewfus, Dec 15, 2007.

1. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

Hey guys -

So, I've come to the point where my PS2 isn't seeing nearly as much play as it used to, so I think it's time for it to go.

I want to try and sell it, but am unsure of which route to go; should I go to a Gamestop-ish place and sell it, or would I be better of going through Ebay/Craigslist? I've sold Apple stuff on Craigslist before and have had pretty good luck...but as far as a PS2, I have no clue of what to ask for it.

Anybody have an idea of an estimate for a PS2, two controllers, and 15-ish games (I know that it depends on which games)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Seeing that you can buy a brand new one for $130 (and refurbs of the original models for $80), you're not going to get much.

The best thing to do would be to look at what PS2s are going for on ebay and pricing accordingly.

As for games, I always check to see what gamestop is selling them used for and price accordingly.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I can tell you from experience, you get basically nothing from GameStop. A friend of mine sold his gamecube a few years ago to them (When they were brand new, his not even a month old) and they game him $40 for a $200 game system. eBay or craigslist is the best route.

4. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

You can sometimes get a better deal from Gamestop etc. if you are interested in part exchange. I traded mine in at Gamestation (a UK shop, so it might not be the same everywhere). They said I could have £20 cash or about £50 towards an xbox360. Since I was in the market for a 360 and ebay prices are around the £50 mark I took that option. Much less hassle than having to sell and ship it etc.

If you are not trading in though you should sell to an individual over ebay or craiglist. You have to remember that whatever people are willing to pay the shops have to knock a bit off to make any profit.

5. drewfus thread starter macrumors 6502

drewfus

ok, sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've finally gotten around to getting serious about selling my PS2, et al. I'm looking into sites online that pay cash for games/systems, and i'm wondering if anyone here has gone through them. I worry a bit about sending my stuff to them, and then never seeing any of the money they promise on the site.

Anyone with experience with gamepawn.com, sellvideogames.com, or any other sites out there?

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sell it here, on craigslist, or eBay. DO NOT sell it at EB-Games/GameStop because you'll only get $40 for it.

TEG

7. drewfus thread starter macrumors 6502

drewfus

Thanks TEG...but I'd already decided against going with GameStop/EB games, or what have you. I was more curious about some of the online places that buy games. I've gone to a couple of them and priced out what I'm selling, and it doesn't seem like such a bad deal. I'm just worried about the reputability of some of the sites.