Need iPad - Air or Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by grani13, Dec 5, 2016.

1. grani13 macrumors newbie

Hello,

Need a little feedback from the community....

I need a replacement for my stolen iPad, I was waiting forever hoping for a good deal on a refurbished one, or Black Friday...but nothing.

So I want 128GB, and Wifi only - my options are the Air2 and the Pro, the price difference is 230....(based on the best price that I can find right now)

What I want to do is - browsing, emails, watching movies, music, little bit of iMovie (editing GoPro Stuff), Lightroom edits...

I do not need the pencil, don't foresee that this will change in the future. Same for the smart connector. Is there any reason why I should go for the Pro?

The main reason I am hesitating is the longer usable life that I am expecting from the pro with it's newer gen processor - but is it worth the premium?

thanks
    Christian

2. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

In terms of performance, the Air 2 and Pro are similar. The Pro offers the quad speakers and Tru-Tone display. From what I have seen, the offers are better on the Air 2 currently. I own the Air 2 and have tested the Pro. The Pro has the better display.

Also, just for reference, the iPad line is expected to be refreshed in March 2017.

3. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

if your consumption makes use of the built in speaker the Pro would definitely be an upgraded experience.

4. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

The iPad Air 2 was released in 2014 while the iPad Pro 9.7 was released in 2016. It is my understanding that the iPad Pro 9.7 is the continuation of the iPad Air line. If it were me, I would go with the iPad Pro line as they are newer all-around.

5. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

The 9.7 Pro processor is only 19% faster. And both machines have the same RAM. Both have great screens. So it really comes down to speakers and Apple Pencil support.

6. spooklog macrumors member

spooklog

Old as it is, the Air 2 does everything you can throw at it. Keep in mind, as well, there are lots of good deals on the Air 2. I'm not so sure about the Pro.

7. grani13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope....apart from the odd watching a video or listening to music over the speakers, I don't have any high demands from the built in speakers.

8. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I have owned both and have to say Air 2. Unless you need pencil support or the upgraded speakers, there's no point in buying a Pro.

I went with the Pro and honestly didn't see that much of a performance increase. I never sprung for the $99 pencil or keyboard, so basically, it was a waste for me. Should've kept my Air 2.

9. grani13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course - this is my main concern with the Air 2 being 2 years old.

Anyone got any historic relevant data as to when iOS devices become "unusable" by an iOS update? My old iPad 2 was certainly at the verge of being usable with iOS9

10. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

My kids both use iPhone 4s still (until Christmas!), which is very laggy on 9.3.5, but it still functions. Once you're in an app, it runs normally for the most part. But the 4s didn't get the iOS 10 update as an option. So that's nearly five years of support: Oct 2011 to Aug 2016.

11. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I don't think iOS devices ever become "unusable". They may stop receiving updates, but they continue to work as advertised - I have a friend who still uses a 1st gen iPad for web surfing and she's still happy with it.

12. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

if the iPad was cellular, you might of gotten it back when it got stolen.

iOS 10 seems to have a new feature that allows cellular iPads to make and receive calls and SMS messages on iCloud now, without wifi or an iPhone nearby. i swear iOS 9 needed a wifi connection on the iPad, but not anymore.

13. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

I love my Smart Keyboard, pencil not so much..the Smart Keyboard makes it very useful.

14. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

If you want to compare the iPad Air 2 to the iPad Pro 9.7, Apple has a web page which allows you to do that: http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

The iPad Pro has many enhancements.

15. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Not so fast, the TRUE TONE screen is magnificent, the PRO 9.7 has an A9X Chipset, vs the Airs A8x Chipset, which goes beyond what the A8X can handle, those reasons on top of the Fab speakers, and pencil support, IMHO the 9.7 iPad Pro is the BEST iPad Apple has ever made, and when the upgrade the 12.9 to the 9.7's specs, APPLE will TOTALLY OWN the TABLET ENVIRONMENT. NEXT, in answer to Microsoft's Surface, a 15" iPAD PRO with a screaming 11X chipset, and a HYBRID IOS/OSX CROSS PLATFORM OS. (Can't be that hard to do TIM, if MS has done it,

16. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    That really depends on who you ask. I would be adverse to using anything running anything older than iOS 9.3.5 at this point, knowing that there were security vulnerabilities that were patched at that version that were pretty major. I know I would be pretty mad using a 4s at this point as well, despite the fact that it technically still operates and there isn't much software that I'm aware of that requires iOS 10, the performance would not be up to what I feel is necessary. However I'm glad to see that people disagree with me and continue to use the older hardware (even if it infuriates me when I have to use my family's iPad 2 or 4s or 5c)

17. Starfia macrumors 6502

Starfia

Caring about quality, longevity and frugalness, I'd go with the Air 2 – I've had both at one time and I think the Air 2 will be reasonably powerful and usable for a few more years. If you change your mind and think you'll end up pining for the Pencil on some level, consider the Pro, but otherwise don't worry about it.

18. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

You make a very good point about security updates, that alone may prompt some folks to upgrade to a newer device.

19. MichaelDT macrumors member

I'd go for the air 2, unless you need pencil. I had an air 2 and traded for a pro so I could take notes in class. Honestly, can't tell the difference besides the pencil. Tru-tone is ok not really a radical change, ooo tint changes slightly from time to time. People will say this and that about the CPU but it's like going from a gen 4 to gen 5 i5, i.e. not noticeable.

20. grani13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I had an ipad 2 - and e.g. waiting several seconds for the letters that I just typed to appear on the screen (in slow motion) was on the verge of usability for me...not speaking of the time it took to launch some apps.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2016 ---
    Done, just ordered an Air 2. Faster processor apart, the incremental improvements of the pro did not make enough sense. Especially the fact that both have 2GB of Ram makes me think that the Pro will not outlast the Air 2 for THAT much longer.