Need iPhone & Outlook 2013 Sync

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by websquad, Jan 14, 2014.

1. websquad macrumors newbie

websquad

I'm ready to switch from an Android device to an iPhone, but first I need assurance that I can sync (two-way) the following with my Windows 7-based Outlook 2013 (the desktop app, not the cloud service that Microsoft offers):
    • Calendar
    • People
    • Tasks
    • Notes
    I do not need to sync mail. The sync can be either wired (network and/or WiFi) and/or USB.

I've searched these forums for an answer, but about the time I think I have one, I get a conflicting post. HELP!

2. websquad thread starter macrumors newbie

websquad

Asked and Answered

I stoped by a huge Apple store in the local mall today and talked with a guy who seems to know stuff. He recommended this website:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html

and showed me some setup hints on his iPhone, whereby I can choose what I wanted to sync (for example, I don't want to sync Email) and how to turn sync on or off for various things.

Apparently, I need an iCloud account before I can do anything, so the next stop is the T-Mobile store to get the iPhone 5s.

3. nivekr11 macrumors regular

Are you using an outlook.com email account?

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

My 1 year old information told me iPhone - Outlook sync not as smooth as it should be... this is more of a hardware forum, recommend you do a global search on OUTLOOK.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

No idea but Exchange ActiveSync works very well. Any hosted Exchange provider can get you set up and you'd effectively have Outlook sync. Syncing with desktop clients such as Outlook is going to be less common and probably trickier to deal with versus syncing via an account.

Note this part of what you quoted:

6. manishans macrumors member

Your outlook account is corporate account or a one you can access throught outlook.com?

7. zipa macrumors 65816

No outlook account, just the app. And no, you can't sync that directly with an iPhone.

8. websquad thread starter macrumors newbie

websquad

Pop3

My Email interface is a POP3 account with my internet provider (carrier). It is not Exchange, and not outlook.com. I've purchased the two iPhone 5s's, and walked away from Verizon and Android, and gone over to T-Mobile. Only one phone will be synced. The other, for my spouse, is for voice telephone and texting only.

I'll not get my 32GB 5s until Thursday (1/16/2014), and will advise if I have trouble setting up the iCloud link.

9. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

You can sync with Outlook just as you want. You to do it through iTunes to set up the sync options. iCloud syncing is for an iCloud account.

10. websquad thread starter macrumors newbie

websquad

QUESTION: Is iCloud part of iTunes, and expansion of iTunes? What is the relationship?

11. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

iCloud is really separate from iTunes. It has it's own application, website, and has a plugin to Outlook.