Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthemercyless

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Hull, UK
Hey everyone,

Need a little help with a party solution.

Basically I want to be able to stream a playlist from my laptop and have it play on a bunch of other Macs across my house. :D

The idea is that I can set up one huge playlist and have it play from one central computer to roughly 4/5 other Macs plugged into various stereos, then when you walk around the house, the music will be the same everywhere.;)

Basically, its for my leaving party before I go traveling :cool: so I want to spend very little and don't want to pick up any new hardware.

soms

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2007
Seattle
Hey everyone,

Basically I want to be able to stream a playlist from my laptop and have it play on a bunch of other Macs across my house. :D

The idea is that I can set up one huge playlist and have it play from one central computer to roughly 4/5 other Macs plugged into various stereos, then when you walk around the house, the music will be the same everywhere.;)

Basically, its for my leaving party before I go traveling :cool: so I want to spend very little and don't want to pick up any new hardware.

If they are on the same network I thought itunes would do that automatically?

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
As long as you don't expect it all to stay in perfect sync, I'd say just have five people try to coordinate hitting "play" in iTunes using iTunes library sharing at the same time.

Honestly though, I don't know of any software solution that allows for what you're asking. The Sonos system does this, but it is $$$$$.

Hey everyone,

Too Bad. For free, you could have opened itunes on all the computers, gone to preferences and just turned sharing on on all of them.

matthemercyless

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Hull, UK
Too Bad. For free, you could have opened itunes on all the computers, gone to preferences and just turned sharing on on all of them.

Nah, that wouldn't really work. I want to be able to 'stream' music to other computers, not just 'share' it with them. Using AirFoil, I can control what is playing on each computer, from one central laptop.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.