need jailbreak tips on iphone 3gs

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by CrzyIcE, Nov 10, 2010.

1. CrzyIcE macrumors member

hello

I just got a new factory sealed iphone 3GS
    Version 3.1.3
    Baseband 5.12.01

I just saved the shsh blobs for 4.1 through tinyumbrella

But I want to jailbreak it and have the option to unlock it. (I will not unlock it at this time since I dont want to void the warranty).

What methods should I use?
    A) Can I use pwnage tools 4.1.2 to restore the firmware to 4.0.1 even though I don't have the shsh blobs but I have the restore file? (iPhone2,1_4.0.1_8A306_Restore)

B) Is there any reason to preserve the 5.12.01 baseband?

C) What other options do I have?

Thanks for your time.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Create a custom 4.1 ipsw using pwnage to JB and preserve your baseband if you plan to unlock down the road.

3. CrzyIcE thread starter macrumors member

how do you create a custom ipsw? Does the latest pwnage tool work for all versions 4.1 and below?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

5. CrzyIcE thread starter macrumors member

Hi Applejuiced,

thanks for the help.
    I have one more question:
    to be able to restore on 4.1 custom ipsw and use it on pwnage tool, would you need to have the SHSH blobs as well?

For example in these scenarios, would it work?
    A) 3GS phone 3.1.3 restores to 4.1 on pwnagetool
    B) 3GS phone 3.1.3 restores to 4.0.1 on pwnagetool (even though the latest version out is 4.1 and 4.0.1 SHSH blobs are not saved)
    C) 3GS phone 4.1 restores to 4.0.1 on pwnagetool (same conditions as B)

I am still confused on how the restoring technique actually works. Is pwnagetool able to restore on versions that are out of date?

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

To use PwnageTool, you don't need the shsh files saved. PT is only needed to create the custom ipsw, so you can preserve the baseband (if you need the unlock).

BUT

To restore to the "out of date" firmwares, that's where the shsh signatures come in handy.

7. CrzyIcE thread starter macrumors member

oh okay I see,
    so pwnagetool would only be able to restore to 4.1 (since it is the latest version) right?

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yeah, PwnageTool will allow you make the 4.1 ipsw. The restoring part takes place in iTunes after you create the ipsw.

9. CrzyIcE thread starter macrumors member

Oh okay, so I should do it soon before the 4.2 version comes out right?

Because even though SHSH blobs lets you downgrade the firmware, it will also change the baseband as well right?

For example, right now I have a iphone 3GS 3.1.3. (baseband 5.12.01)
    I saved the SHSH for 4.1.

Version 4.2 comes out. So now pwnagetool would only be able to create 4.2 ispw and I can only restore to 4.2.

If I were to downgrade to 4.1 using tinyumbrella, it would bring the baseband to 5.13.04 right?

So basically if I want 4.1, I should do it before the new version comes out?
    I hope I am understanding it correctly.

10. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If you PwnageTool to upgrade to 4.1 right now. Your baseband 5.12.01 will "transfer" over to the 4.1 custom ipsw. So you'll be able to install the Ultrasn0w repo and unlock.

If you upgrade your iPhone using iTunes (official update) then your baseband would change (no good). Once the baseband gets upgraded, it can never be downgraded.

The iPhone-Dev Team would have to update their PwnageTool so users can upgrade and create a 4.2 ipsw safely.

If you want 4.1 it doesn't matter when you do update, as long as you use Pwnage.

11. CrzyIcE thread starter macrumors member

Ohh I see!
    I think I am starting to get it.

I do have one final question though:
    you mentioned that you can restore to 4.1 anytime with pwnage tool.
    So does that also mean I can also restore to 4.0.1 as well anytime w/ pwnage tool?
    (as long as my version right now is lower than 4.0.1)

12. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

This the part that's confusing you. To restore back to 4.0.1 you use the shsh signature. Here's a guide from www.iclarified.com that shows you how to do so. Pwnage only lets you go forward, not backward.

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7556

13. CrzyIcE thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, when you say forward what do you mean?

Because if my firmware is 3.1.3, wouldn't going to 4.0.1 consider a forward direction?

14. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes, sorry.

15. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

OP:

The problem is apple only "signs" the CURRENT version of iOS. When you restore, itunes checks in with apple and it checks the version, if it is current, apple signs it with information specific to your iPhone's unique ECID.

You can't just install 4.0.1 because apple won't sign it.

An SHSH blob is a cached signature from apple. Right now, you can save your SHSH blob for 4.1 because apple is signing it. You will never, and I mean NEVER, be able to get apple to sign 4.0.1 for your SPECIFIC device after its not current.

From now on, save your shsh blobs every time apple starts signing a new version. This will allow you to use either cydia's server or TSS (from tinyumbrella) to answer the request itunes makes to sign the firmware INSTEAD of apple. You can trick your device into installing previous versions only if you cached apple's signature for it.

So no, you can't install 4.0.1

Luckily, you can update to 4.1 which you can jailbreak and you can use pwnagetool to preserve your baseband in the process. In the future, if you wanted to REINSTALL 4.1 you would have to have your shsh saved if it wasn't the current version. But since it is, you don't need to use a saved shsh blob because it will be the same as the one apple signs your device with.

That being said, you should still save your 4.1 blob. Use the software for download at http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com

16. CrzyIcE thread starter macrumors member

ohh okay, I think I understand now.

thanks so much for your help!!

17. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

All previous versions of pwnage tool were restricted to early bootrom devices that had previously been pwned. The latest version of pwnage tool does two things it creates custom firmware that is already jailbroken and it creates the pwn state to facilitate the phone accepting the custom firmware.

The special DFU mode which you must follow uses a baseband exploit to put the phone in the pwned state to enable it to accept the custom 4.1 firmware. You get two for one.

18. probinseano macrumors newbie

Read the thread and i think my problem is related to this:

Here goes:
    *i have an at&t iphone 4 with official firmware 4.0
    *no more shsh blobs for 4.1 and below, i was only able to get 4.2 shsh blobs
    *running itunes 10.0(67)

read and found that the only way to go to 4.1 from 4.0 without baseband upgrade would be pwnage tool with a custom firmware

question is:
    is it true that i really don't need shsh blob for 4.1 if i use pwnage tool cfw without baseband upgrade to get me from 4.0 ofw to 4.1 cfw?

do i need to jailbreak first my ofw 4.0 before i can upgrade to 4.1 using PT cfw?

will my phone be activated (using activate phone in expert mode with pwnage tool) and can be used for international phone sims when i use ultrasnow after the pwnage tool jailbreak?

can i make a PT cfw without activation since I have an AT&T sim?(i don't have 4.1 shsh blobs)

lastly, if it is possible to upgrade from my 4.0 ofw to 4.1 cfw using PT, what if something happens to the phone needing for it to be reverted to the 4.1 cfw i prepared. is this possible? (since I cannot revert back to 4.0, 4.01, 4.02, and even 4.1 ofw since I was not able to save the shsh blob).

I've been searching for nearly a week now. It's a good thing i found this forum.
    thank you.