Need knowledge and advice from you

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M&M, Mar 18, 2008.

1. M&M macrumors regular

M&M

Hi,

I'm new to mac and OS X.
    When I received my MBP, all the apps (iLife08), were'nt working. Apple tech. support made me do a install (keeping my current files).
    I've had read around some post, that by doing this, you keep some files and lose some space in your HD.
    Another point about doing a "Fresh" install is that you may not install all the language files that do too keep some file space on the HD.
    My questions are following :

1- If I do a fresh install, without keeping my current files. Do the image installed with the Leopard DVD will be exactly the same as the one used in the factory? No loss of anything besides the apps that were installed as well that I do have the CDs?

2- Can I choose which language files I can install or do they come in a full package. (I will be using an english interface with the keyboard layout for french canadian, and spanish too?

Can somebody give me a link to all I need to know about formatting the HD or anything related in a clean install of leopard?

Thank you for your post.

I don't want to mess my MBP so that's what been keeping me to install a fresh image so far.

2. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

Wellcome to the Mac, don't you feel better since you left the darkside? ;)
    Yes, if you re install , it'll be the same system as the one you got first on your machine.
    You choose the language after the installation is done but it won't delete the other languages, to do this you need a separate app like Monolingual, just google for it. be careful when using these apps.
    to do the clean install just pop in the DVD and follow the instructions, you will see an option button if i remember and choose the 'erase and install' option.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

you dont *need* monolingual, you can do the same thing by clicking the customize install button it'll show up in the bottom left hand corner during the setup process before it actually begins copying files, from there you can remove the languages you dont want, also you can remove the printer drivers you dont want which will free up to 2gb?? i think, of space.