Need Knowledge on 9400m White Macbook vs 9400m Alum Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 55orangeave, Feb 6, 2009.

?

White 9400m Macbook vs Aluminum 9400m Macbook

1. White

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Aluminum

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 55orangeave macrumors member

55orangeave

I would like to hear peoples arguments on the White Vs the Aluminum.

So far I have broken the lists of Pros and Cons.

White
    Pros - Firewire, Non Reflective Screen, Cost
    Cons - Slower Ram, Not as durable case, Trackpad not Multi touch

Alum
    Pros - Faster Memory, Better case, LED backlit, Multi touch
    Cons - No Firewire, Higher Price, Screen Reflects

This is what I see the most. The hard drive does not matter because I am swapping it out anyway.

Can I have some knowledgeble people express their opions and more importantly, put their 2 cents in on my biggest concern. Which is the ram speed. How much of a difference will this make in the real world?

Does anyone know if any one posted benchmarks of the these side by side yet?

Much Thanks

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Please mark that both white and Al use glossy screens without exceptions!

The only real and valid pro as compared to the Al I can observe is the presence of FireWire... other than that.. the White plastic MB is a dying breed and I can see Apple discontinuing it any day for Environmental sake or something like that!

3. 55orangeave thread starter macrumors member

55orangeave

The point that it may be in fact on its way to the Macbook Grave dosnt mean anything here. The fact they both have Glossy screens make no difference either.

When viewing one against the other. The white doesn't reflect as much as the Alum.

I do like the universe quote though.

4. 55orangeave thread starter macrumors member

55orangeave

Sorry I just noticed a Thread that may give me what I need. No need to continue here

How do I delete this thread

5. 55orangeave thread starter macrumors member

55orangeave

New White Macbook vs. Aluminum Macbook

I have seen similar post, but nothing really concrete. I want to see the community's true take on this. It would be better to also hear from user with experience with these products.

Here is what I am:
    -programmer
    -want to teach myself Logic Pro

I would like to hear arguments on what I should get and why? I am so twisted on this, its not even funny.

As far as look and feel, I like the Aluminum. But i want to go for functionality above all.

My 2 downsides of the Aluminum are:
    1.NO Firewire
    2. More expensive

My 1 downside to the White
    1.Ram Speed

Fire this thread up people, I'm buying Friday. So nervous to make right decision. Please help:)

6. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

I say aluminum 2.4. unless your gonna go with the 2.0 alu. Then I would go for the Whitebook. The ram speed isn't gonna make or brake you + you get a firewire port for your troubles.

The reason I went with the 2.4 alu, was because the faster clock speed, and backlit keys. I use it in bed pretty often.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Forget for a moment about whether the computer is housed in an aluminum case or a plastic case - if it were me, I'd be far more concerned with what's inside.

You say you're looking for functionality above all, so we're on the same page.

All that being said, if it were me, I'd get the aluminum MB IF you don't need Firewire. Some people do, others don't - you'll have to decide that part on your own.

Having a slightly faster system and a decent GPU would cinch the deal for me.

8. 55orangeave thread starter macrumors member

55orangeave

2.4 not an option. I can't justify the extra price for what you get. 2.0 Alum vs White

9. 55orangeave thread starter macrumors member

55orangeave

You are so right, and your thoughts are as mine. I guess the hardest part is the Firewire. WHY APPLE WHY?

10. MeatPie macrumors newbie

The one benefit besides price obviously, is as you mentioned Firewire. If you have no need for Firewire, I would definitely recommend the aluminum macbook. Having used both extensively, as well as every current mac(it's my job afterall :p) The aluminum is a much better computer in terms of design and build quality. Plastic cracks, creaks, groans, and discolors. The aluminum macbook also sports the fancy new trackpad and the LED screen is noticeably better than the white macbook's.

11. 55orangeave thread starter macrumors member

55orangeave

I use nothing now that has Firewire. But as I did a bit of research, It would seem that there are some peripherals out there that use firewire for use with Logic Pro. Eaxmple: Apogee Duet

EDIT: I know that there are alternatives, I'm just afraid I may box myself in?

12. aluminumapple macrumors regular

ya i have both whitebook and alu

either way you look at it 2.0 or 2.4 you really gotta pick the alum : P
    after i felt the not so plastic surface and the keyboard and track pad i felt as though i could never go back

13. 55orangeave thread starter macrumors member

55orangeave

No love the White? It would seem to me that the Aluminum is a clear winner where ever I look.

14. jamse macrumors newbie

15. 55orangeave thread starter macrumors member

55orangeave

Many other people have wrote concerns about the poly getting cracked. Is this a serious problem?

16. acurafan macrumors 6502a

if you're not going to be taking it everywhere, all the time, then get the white. otherwise get the alum.

basically, all three have 2GB ram, and a 5400rpm drive - which they suck if you really multitask with it. you'll end up upgrading more memory and/or faster hdd. that's what i had to do to run iPhoto, aperture, vm fusion w/Windows XP bootcamp.

i figure i'd get the white for now, let the alum get updated then buy that and sell my existing laptop.

17. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Though I voted for the aluminum, the $999 WhiteBook is a great computer and superb value for an Apple computer.

As far as bang-for-your-buck, you can't go wrong with the White. But, that being said, I absolutely love my unibody and think it's performance justify the price.

For me, firewire isn't an issue. I have a LaCie Hub that can use FW 400 or USB, and thought I might miss the speed for file transfers, but it really hasn't been that bad. My peripherals for Logic and GarageBand all use USB, as does my camera. That being said, I so wish that FW was still available to me as an option.

As far as the price, too me, the 2.4 is worth the price due to it's superior build quality, backlit keys, DDR3 RAM, 250 GB HDD and brilliant screen. It handles everything I throw at it like a champ and I had no qualms laying down the loot. IMO, the 2.4 is very much a "MacBook Pro Lite." I could easily justify the jump from the WB to the Aluminum (especially before the upgrade) and once I was there, I decided to just splurge and get the most processor speed I could afford. And as hokey as it sounds, the backlit keyboard just plain rocks.

No matter which you choose, you are going to be happy! :)

18. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That depends. If you treat it like it's a computer, and take care of it, it's not a problem. If you sit on it, regularly toss it into a backpack, drop things on it, hit things with it, and generally treat it like a rag doll, then you could have some problems with cracks.

I have a white MB from 2 1/2 years ago that isn't even scratched. When I'm not using I put it in a neoprene Incase sleeve and then into my briefcase. It's also not discolored because I put a Marware wrist rest on it.

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just bought one; the white MacBook is terrific.

20. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

the alu macbook is definitely a better build, although it is a tad more expensive it is well worth it. the battery life, if calibrated properly, is amazing. I dont think youd regret getting the alu over the white.

21. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I just forget about Firewire. My external HD, keyboard, printer, and everything else are all USB.

If you think about it, both the white MacBook and the Aluminum ones end up to be about the same price. If you get the White MacBook, over time the white plastic around the keyboard will probably start to turn a different color because of skin oils, pencils, etc. You would need to buy AppleCare so Apple would refurbish your MacBook after a few years. The Aluminum MacBooks are much more durable and will last you much longer.

Long live the Aluminum MacBooks!

22. RogueVasion macrumors regular

RogueVasion

The polycarbonate macbook no longer fits in with the current image Apple is working to. No doubt, it's an amazing computer, especially with its internal upgrade for the new graphics card, but the aluminum is the most beautiful piece of work I have ever seen.

The polycarbonate has the firewire if you need it. That's one of the big definitive reasons for someone to purchase it, other than its $300 dollars cheaper.

If you need style and slightly better performance (and don't need the FW), go with the Aluminum.

Either or, it's a Mac, it will keep you happy! :p

23. 55orangeave thread starter macrumors member

55orangeave

Thanks guys. You have been a lot of help. I think you just confirmed what I have been second guessing. I am pretty sure I am going with the unibody.

24. kinkster macrumors 6502a

I think it depends on how long you keep it.

If you upgrade to a new laptop fairly often, maybe once per year, then you might just want to go for the lower end one.

But the superior build quality would certainly be worth the extra money if your keeping it for a while.

25. TonyL08 macrumors regular

I just bought the new white one. Reason being, price. Nothing else.

I saved myself $300 on a computer that is by all real world means, the same underneath. Slightly faster RAM? Not for $300. I'm using some of that saved 300 to upgrade the cheaper DDR2 RAM to 4GB at a cost of $35. I'm sure that $35 bump will make the machine perform better than the DDR3 version, and I've still saved $265.

Everything else is the same inside. I don't use the trackpad very much, and don't care much about LED's brightness since I already keep the screen about four notches below max anyway.

There are benefits to the Aluminum model, for sure. But none that make it worth $300 for me. My savings account got to keep the extra cash which makes me as happy as the beauty of the unibody machine would have.

Of course, for myself, I haven't kept a computer in daily use for more than 1.5 years in my life. So price to performance is important to me. If I planned to keep it longer I'd maybe go for the unibody 2.4, but the savings of $600 today goes a long way toward my next $1000 machine in a year and a half to two years. One which will no doubt be much better than the current 2.4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.