Need laptop help.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zacbrown, Jan 14, 2012.

1. zacbrown macrumors newbie

Bare with me please. I have had a PC forever and I am possibly looking to get a Mac laptop. This will be used mostly for web surfing, music burning. And light data. I would like to have as many ports as I can get. I just have no idea of what all of the specs mean. I would appreciate any help. I would aka not be opposed to buying refurbished. Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Any current or recent Mac notebook can easily handle your needs.

3. zacbrown thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you give me some suggestions. I am sure they are not all the dame.

4. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

For your uses a baseline 13" Macbook Pro will impress the hell out of you. If you are used to PC's I would encourage you to heavily browse the macrumors guides, as they have been very helpful to me. Good luck, and you are making the right decision!:D:apple:

5. Android300zx macrumors regular

You can visit everymac.com to get detailed specs. I would purchase a 2009 + model. If you are needing as many ports and have no idea what they are then it probably doesn't matter.

As long as you can get a Mac with at least a firewire port you should be fine. Firewire is just a faster way of transmitting data. It's faster than USB.

What this means for example (Not actual times):

If you transfer a movie from your Mac to your external harddrive it may take you 30 minutes to transfer Avatar. With Firewire it will be much faster transfer rate because Firewire transmits at 800Mb/s which is faster than USB 2.0.

If you get a Mac that's 2009 you will have USB 2.0 since USB 3.0 is pretty new and won't come on a Mac that old. Firewire will compensate for not having USB 3.0.

Did that make sense?

6. vistadude macrumors 65816

Basically you'll want a MacBook Pro. The difference between them is the screen size and speed. The base 13 inch can do all of what you want, however the bigger laptops are faster and have better screen real estate. The best way to chooses among them is to visit a store and try it out, see which one is more comfortable to use and read, and what is within your budget.

Unfortunately, none of them can read or write blu-ray discs and the MacBook airs don't have dvd drives at all.

7. malman89 macrumors 68000

Unfortunately Macs aren't really 'ports a-plenty.' They're pretty starved for the most part. However, if you're really set on a Mac, there's plenty of adapters to do the trick - mini display port to VGA, to HDMI, etc.

I would do some considerable research and then just spend a lot of time in store playing with a model or a friend's laptop to see if you really like the OS or not. If it's not your thing, you can get a much better bang for your buck with a Windows laptop.

8. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

From what the OP described, I'd say any intel mac would do.

It's a question of how much do you want to spend, and how comfortable are you with "old" technology.

I recently bought a 2007 MacBook (2.0 ghz core 2 duo, 2 gb ram, 80 gb hard drive). I paid slightly over $500 because I bought it from a store. I could have paid less from craigslist or ebay. A friend bought the same machine for $200 on craigslist.

As for ports, it has 2 USB 2.0, 1 firewire, 1 ethernet, and 1 display port.

It is surprisingly fast given the age and specs. I wouldn't use it for gaming, but is great for "web surfing, music burning. And light data."

As for ports, you may want a USB hub if you have a lot of stuff.
    Firewire is fast, but most things are USB.

The biggest issue will be hooking up extra monitors. Apple uses proprietary connections, so you'll need an adapter to go from the Apple port to the monitor.

Good luck!!!