Need lightweight case or folio that can do both portrait and landscape mode

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by GenderBender, May 31, 2012.

1. GenderBender macrumors newbie

I had a case that did landscape but I find myself using portrait mode more and more, but I still use landscape..

I'd like a case/folio that can do both.. I'm not too picky at how it achieves these viewing angles as I know there's some that rotate, others use a origami cover, others with a back stand, etc.

my criteria are:

can do portrait or landscape mode
    reasonably light weight (i know they can be bulky)
    easy to take ipad out (because at home I like to use the iPad naked for book mode use)

2. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

These are just the ones i noticed, but no comment on how easy it is to take out since I haven't tried them out

Rotating types:
    Joy Factory Folio360 III - looks thinner than the Targus one and looks like there's only 4 snap in areas to secure the iPad so it could be easier to remove
    Devicewear Detour 360 - looks a lot like the Targus one but you don't have the hole in the back exposing the apple logo. Looks like it could be thick

Origami cases:
    Ozaki icoat slim-y/y+/y++ - this one is probably much lighter than the rotating types. uses folding cover to serve portrait and landscape modes. Most reviews I've seen tend to say that its a great case except for the constant auto on/off being accidentally triggered, and the magnets not used to secure the cover to the ipad, resulting in it hanging down when holding it upside down
    Moshi versacover - like Ozaki but the folding style is different and has a back magnet to hold the cover in place if you're using it like a book. I don't know if it has the same magnet issues as the Ozaki

3. ElDogman macrumors 6502

ElDogman

i forgot to add there's some rugged models that also allow both like the Seido Active where the top case could be used as a stand. although it might be bulky and not light weight.

4. NineFace, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

NineFace macrumors newbie

I got the 360 case just like Targus off ebay for $12 very good for that price! The viewing angles is good for landscape but portrait is not so great :(

the book mode for 360 case is not that good but to able to rotate is very useful for reading on you lap on the bus or bed :)

Yesterday I just order Incipio Flagship Folio heard good things about it but no portrait mode...
    http://www.incipio.com/new-iPad-Cas...ip-Folio-Brushed-Aluminum-Hard-Shell-Case.asp

However, today I saw Zerochroma Chamelio(not out yet), landscape and portrait with 11-Angle Rotating looking very good but maybe not so great if you want to use it on your lap.
    http://zerochroma.com/index_standard.php

ps. that Moshi versacover is kidda cool!!
    http://youtu.be/Bi4TCdvovpk