Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

funkahdafi

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Planet Earth
Hi,

my dusted first generation Intel SSDs are getting slower and slower and so much has changed in the SSD industry that I want to swap them out and replace them with something newer and more up to date.

I have a Mac Pro 4,1 which has the "old" SATA standard. So I am looking for a a SATA controller with internal ports that does SATA 3.0 (6 gbit) and works without additional driver install so I can boot from it.

I don't need anything fancy with RAID features - just plain and simple SATA controller, 2 ports, internal, bootable, 6 gb/sec.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

----------

I might add: I wouldn't mind a controller with more than 2 ports. Say 2 internal, 2 external (eSATA). Nice to have, but not a requirement right now.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Get TRIM support running if possible Save you money. Don't know of any bootable SATAIII cards right now. Drivers are terrible.

funkahdafi

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Planet Earth
Get TRIM support running if possible Save you money. Don't know of any bootable SATAIII cards right now. Drivers are terrible.

Thanks!

The first generation Intel SSDs don't have TRIM, unfortunately. So that's not an option. Besides, today's SSDs are much faster, I really want to go there.

funkahdafi

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Planet Earth
Hope it is bootable in OS X. Saw no indication of it.

Me neither. Not on their website anyways. However, they do have a separate website for MAc products and list the controller there as being bootable. I also read in some Hackintosh forums that people were using this to successfully boot OS X.

We'll see. I just ordered one for 20 bucks. Won't kill me if it doesn't work. :D

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Me neither. Not on their website anyways. However, they do have a separate website for MAc products and list the controller there as being bootable. I also read in some Hackintosh forums that people were using this to successfully boot OS X.

We'll see. I just ordered one for 20 bucks. Won't kill me if it doesn't work. :D

Didn't see it was only 20.00. Go for it. Let us know how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.