need login help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gowguy, Jan 14, 2011.

1. gowguy macrumors newbie

Hello and good luck to all.
    I think I posted once before about this so this is a follow up. I can't login in on Mac OS 10.5. Opened a Terminal window, created a new account but password doesn't work. Next, booted from install disc, Reset Password but it didn't work.

So, now I'm wondering if I should reset Permissions? and if so, if it doesn't work through Utilities (accessed through installation disc), does anyone know the Terminal commands and syntax I would need to do so?

Also, I could use the Terminal commands and syntax to enable Automatic login.
    I live in Southeast Asia and getting books here or real knowledgeable Apple people is very hard. But I still searching. What is a good book on Terminal for this system? It is still Unix.

ThankX

2. obrien234 macrumors regular

Here are some instructions for single-user mode, they might help you out. link.

Also, if the above suggestion doesn't work, you might just have to do a Archive and Install.

3. gowguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Archive and install

HI Obrien234
    Can you explain to me what an "Archive and install" is and how to do it?
    I can only use Terminal by booting with Command - 'S' held down and that's it.

Thanks

4. obrien234 macrumors regular

Sorry I keep forgetting to check in on my posts. If you still need the help...

Basically it saves everything you have currently to a new folder and installs a new version of the OS

“Archive and Install” moves your existing Mac OS X system files to a folder named Previous System, and then installs a new copy of Mac OS X on the selected volume. Mac OS X–installed applications, such as Address Book and Safari, are archived, and new versions are installed in the Applications folder"

That's from Apples 10.5 installation guide