Need Low Battery Notification

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steford, Jan 1, 2015.

1. steford macrumors newbie

Hello! I have a Late 2007 MacBook Pro. (a1226) (15.4" 2.4 GHz, 4 GB Memory). I constantly forget to pay attention to the battery level when I am not charging my Mac which leads to it shutting of, dying :eek:. I run OS X Yosemite 10.10. I was hoping there was some third party software I could download for free in which I would get notifications that my battery is at 20% such as the way I do with emails and iMessage and such. I would resort to paying for something from the app store. Thanks :p

2. doynton macrumors 6502

It is extremely annoying Macs just shut down without flashing an obvious warning about low battery. If I'm concentrating on something else I don't always remember to check the tiny little icon. Anyway...

I use this battery time remaining 2 which will send you a notification at 10%, 5% as you desire.

You can get it free from the above developers link or download it from the store for a couple of $ as you prefer.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Do you have the battery monitor in your Menu Bar? I read recently that you need that for the low warning to show.

4. doynton macrumors 6502

Do you mean the apple one? I did but I didn't always notice battery was running out until too late. With battery app 2 I get notifications which are distrating enough to make me plug in :)

Attached Files:

5. steford, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

steford thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks! I just tested it right now. It downloaded very fast. I appreciate the free link for battery time remaining 2. This is exactly what I am looking for. I never pay attention to the time, let alone my battery charge. It works like a charm!! You are awesome! :D

One question though
    Does it stay downloaded? My MacBook turned off and I had to come back and redownload it. When I download it, it goes automatically to my menu bar up top and doesn't do that drag to applications thing.

6. doynton macrumors 6502

It stays downloaded but you need to drag it manually from downloads to applications as it doesn't have an installer. It should still be in your downloads folder from yesterday unless you moved it. Then launch it and right click on the menu bar icon and tick the "start at log in" and whatever notifications you want.

I then removed the apple battery monotor from the menu bar by disabling "show current battery status" in energy saver in system preferences as there is no point having 2 different battery monitors shown.

Attached Files:

7. steford thread starter macrumors newbie

Works seamlessly! Thanks!