need low cost itunes/email station

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mwlang, Feb 5, 2009.

1. mwlang macrumors newbie

Hi,
    My daughters have switched the house to Mac. We have the .5T Backup/airport station and a Macmini. They connect their laptops wirelessly.
    I'd like to set up a computer downstairs that would let me access itunes library on the mini and internet/email.
    I've given up on getting the old PC laptops to work.
    What would be the best and least expensive Mac to set up?
    Used/refurb would be OK
    Thanks
    Mark

2. claimed4all macrumors 6502

I refurbed mac mini would be the cheapest solution if you have a monitor already. Otherwise look into a refurbished macbook if you wanted to go the mac route. You can buy them other places than the apple store to. Just google Used Macs and you will find a slew of sites that sell such items.

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

All you really need is a Mac with working USB 2.0 and networking that can run your operating system of choice. I wouldn't recommend running anything below Tiger. A working display won't be necessary, after initial setup. Buy something as-is from eBay, so long as it has the necessary components working. There are plenty of battery with power or display issues for very cheap, a few hundred dollars at most, which will serve your purpose perfectly well.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Want a G4 tower, cheap. Send me a PM.
    But maybe not. Shipping a tower computer is expensive. You could check out the local Craig's list for a cheap Mac that is near you. For what you need $250 would be a reasonable budget.

Actually a used Mac Mini, even a G4 Mini would be perfect. Notebooks are nice too because they take up little space. Neither would run you electric bill up either. The old towers are great too because thet have space for more disk drives but are big noisy and suck down 200 wats of AC power but sell for as low as $100 (plus shipping)

All that said, I'd prefer to get a smaller, say 17" iMac. They don't use much power or space and look nice. That and a big external disk drive to hold the data and a bigger drive for backups.