Need lowest cost graphics card for fcpx

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by karthikslm, Mar 2, 2014.

1. karthikslm macrumors newbie

hi friends.. im using intel dual core 2.4ghz processor, 2gb ram, 500gb hd..im the beginner of fcpx.. so i initially used to fcpx.. which one is suitable? and lowest cost?..

Thanks in advance..
    Karthik
    (karthikslm@gmail.com)

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

According to Apple http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/specs/

the first thing you will need is a RAM upgrade. Its 4GB minimum. You also need Mavericks. The graphics card needs to be capable of OPEN-CL and have at least 256MB of VRAM or use Intel HD Graphics 3000 or later.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

Apple has a list of GPS that work, basically any that work with both Mavericks and OpenCL.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4664?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

But also in real life you need a FAST disk and all the RAM yo can get, I'd say realistically 8GB.

By daughter's dual-core Macbook Pro with Retina and all FLASH with 8GB RAM is very noticeably much faster than my quad core iMac with 12GB and hard spinning disks. Well for editing her's is faster. My quad core machine renters and transcodes faster.

4. karthikslm thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks.. im seeing to build new hackintosh.. which graphics works smoothly..for fcpx..

5. karthikslm thread starter macrumors newbie

graphics & hackintosh

can anyone send me the online shopping link of graphic card.. (which works smoothly in fcpx) and i need best config for my hackintosh.. budget is around 30k..

6. rx7dude macrumors regular

rx7dude

7. karthikslm thread starter macrumors newbie

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

With a 30K budget (I hope this is not $30K USD!)

Building a Hackintosh is always an experiment and a risk. Even if it works the nest software update from Apple might break it and you have to replace some parts or buy a new graphic card. Building a mackintosh is a hobby project for people with time to kill and money to burn. If money and time are in short supply buy a USED iMac. It will work right out of the box and be cheaper.

If you are doing real work that generates income buy a new MacPro. It will come with graphics cards that work out of the box and IMPORTANTLY Apple will continue to support those graphics cards with their newer software. A mackintosh is for a hobbyist who wants to experiment and can afford to just replace hardware until he gets it to work.

No one can tell you what will work or not on a mackintosh. Just try stuff an and then after the next release of Mac OS X or FCP X maybe you have to replace your graphic card or not, no one knows. That is the fun of Hacking, you don't know.

The apple's software license says you can only run the software in real Apple hardware but they tend not to enforce this or care if you are only doing this at home for your own entertainment and not selling computers. But it never works if you want to do real work, Better to buy a used iMac or a used Mac Pro.

At one time I was going to build a "legal Hackintosh" using a loophole. Start with an old G4 tower Mac. Then upgrade all the parts one at a time. Apple allows upgrades an it is still an "Apple" computer under the licensee even if every single last part has been replaced, except the chassis box. But why bother except for bragging rights and the novelty effect. You can buy a very usable Mac that will run FCP for $600.