Need Mac 9500 service Manual

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by hdrider, Dec 14, 2008.

1. hdrider macrumors newbie

Where can I download or purchase a Service Manual for a Powermac 9500?

I have a Powermac 9500 that I would like to get a few more years use out of (it's my wife and she primarily uses it for e-mail and the internet). So far I've upgraded it with a Maxpowr G3/400mhz card, an ATI Orion Rage 128 graphics card, a USB/Firewire PCI Card, and OS 9.2.2. I'm about to install two 50gb scsi internal hard drives to replace the single 2.1gb drive.

I think I've pretty well maxed out the upgrades for this machine, but I would really like to get a copy of the service manual -- does anyone know where or how I can get one?

Thanks,
    Dennis

2. alexprice macrumors 6502a

I may be able to help, send me a private message for more.

3. hdrider thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to PM you, but I can't seem to figure out how. Your public profile doesn't list contact info and I could't find a PM button. Do you have "receive mail from other users" unchecked in your profile?

Thanks,
    Dennis

4. hdrider thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured out the problem with PM -- I'm such a newbie here (just joined today) -- the forum rules state I can't e-mail members if I have been a member less than 1 day or have less than 5 posts. I'll PM you tomorrow.

5. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

6. hdrider thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately Apple doesn't post the Service Manuals on their website anymore -- that was the first place I looked.

Concerning the G4 upgrade, the only one I could find nowadays is the Sonnet Cresendo G4 1mhz (for about $100), but in reading the reviews it seems that the Sonnet CPU upgrades have a lot of issues in the 9500's and right now the Maxpowr G3 400mhz upgrade is rock solid -- I really don't want to buy some problems, especially considering how poor Sonnet's support is for these legacy Macs.

7. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

I looked for the hard copy that I thought I might have but it must have gotten tossed.

I had a 9500 originally with a 180 dual processor but added a 400mhz G3 Sonnet and briefly a PowerLogix G3 that I clocked higher. Also had a USB card, two ATI video cards, one of which had S Video and RCA out as well, around 512 mb of ram(can't remember exactly; there were a lot of slots), CD RW that was the guts of a LaCie external installed internally, two 9 gig 10,000 rpm SCSI drives, and two 4 gig SCSI boot drives with different OS's installed.
    Tried installing OS X using X Post Facto, but the extra cards and some unpaired memory didn't like it much.

I seem to remember seeing pictures of a teardown online somewhere before, and I'll look for it again.

8. hdrider thread starter macrumors newbie

jodelli,

Thanks for the offer, but I was finally able to track a copy down.

The 9500 is only used by my wife for e-mail and surfing the internet (she's not real computer savvy and doesn't want to be). I figure she can get a couple of more years out of the 9500 then I'll give her my old G5 2mhz Dual Core (non-intel) and buy the latest and greatest for myself.

Thanks,
    Dennis