Need Mac Mini wireless keyboard help!

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by jon54321, Jul 8, 2010.

1. jon54321 macrumors newbie

I just received my new Mac Mini Server, a Magic Mouse, and the wireless keyboard this evening, but I have an issue already. When I boot up the Mini, the mouse connects for a short time and then loses connection. The keyboard never connects. How can I get through the set up process of the Mini with this keyboard and mouse? I don't have any USB keyboards in the house to just plug in. Is it even possible to get set up with only wireless input devices?

2. i7QuadCoreMania macrumors 6502

Had the same problem, look at the manual, you need a wired usb keyboard and mouse.

It asks you to sync a mouse when you first turn it on, then on the next screen it says Mouse disconnected.

If you get a usb mouse you can get past this screen but then you still need a usb keyboard to enter in the serial.:rolleyes:

I suspect this is the work of the server software locking down bluetooth, you can chuck the wired stuff after you re-enable bluetooth. So stupid on Apple's behalf, but you have to remember this is a server, security is inherent.

BTW, I reloaded this to Client with the base Mini Disc and the wireless keyboard and mouse works on the setup as a normal mac.:D

3. jon54321 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great. So now that I have spent $140 on a keyboard and mouse that won't work, I also get to go buy a USB keyboard and mouse to use for about 2 minutes max. This is wonderful.

4. WilliamG macrumors G3

You seriously don't have something old and crappy lying around?

5. nokialovers macrumors newbie

Have you checked for the necessary drivers for the keyboard and a magic mouse? It may happen for even new items that they come without necessary driver even they have their hardware with them.

6. PenguinMac macrumors member

The wireless mouse & keyboard drivers are in OS X. And when I setup my Mac Mini server, my mouse connected but the keyboard did not so had to plugin a USB keyboard to enter the OS X server serial no. Can you borrow a keyboard from a friend? Or buy one, use it, then repackage it carefully & return it. Make it a cheap one with minimal packaging that's easy to unpack and repack.

7. analogkid macrumors regular

I had this issue, and after I stopped panicking, I just put fresh batteries in. You can open up the bluetooth assistant on the screen that asks for your serial and get the keyboard working. I did this by context clicking with a usb mouse, but there may be a way to do it with the magic mouse before you have set that up.

8. Vic 20 macrumors member

Thanks for the heads up. I was about to dump keyboard and mouse, as I already have a wireless set.

9. HighTopFade macrumors regular

HighTopFade

I certainly have just in case.

Sure enough, this happens to me.

10. shortie macrumors newbie

Hi, I have the same problem. I received my mac mini server today. Mouse is connected via USB and works, my wireless keyboard ( the small metal one) doesn't connect. So I cannot enter the serial. I don't have a USB-Keyboard available since I'm on a vaction.

How can I activate the bluetooth assistant? Or what else can I do besides bying a keyboard somewhere?

Kind regards,

shortie

11. belvdr macrumors 603

I right-clicked in a field and went to Text Substitution (I believe). One of those options will open System Preferences and you can then connect your keyboard. I did this to connect my MS keyboard I have owned for years.

12. shortie macrumors newbie

Hi,

the way to it is. Go in the one of the fields to enter the serial, then right click => select spelling and grammer=> go down to change preference and the system profil will open where you can change to complete hardware settings.

Regards,

shortie

13. mortond macrumors newbie

Undocumented way to get wireless keyboard to pair with new Mac Mini

Shortie, sir,
    You are an officer and a gentleman!

Just saved me from either the purchase of a new, unwanted USB keyboard, or an embarrassing telephone call to Apple.

New Mac Mini Server, Magic keyboard & pad & fortunately a USB Logitech trackball.

Thank you,

David Morton