Need Mac OS Back!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shimunna, Jan 23, 2013.

1. shimunna macrumors newbie

I got a used Macbook pro A1260 from a friend. He used Windows Vista on that laptop. I want to uninstall that windows and install a Mac OS. how do i do that? i have no idea how to use a Mac laptop so please be specific. Thanks! :)

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

A 2008 MBP,

You will need an install disc or use Internet Recovery (if its available on 08's, not sure :confused:).

3. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

you will need snow leopard cd from apple.com $19.99
    or a friend with a usb stick with lion or mountain lion.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

5. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

can you log in into mac os?
    is windows under bootcamp?
    we need more details

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Unless he has deleted the OS X partition completely, you should be able to reboot in OS X quite easily. In the taskbar, locate the bootcamp agent, right click it, and click "reboot in mac OS X"

7. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Do this:

Shut down the laptop completely,

then press the power button and immediately press and hold down the 'Alt(Option)' key.

Keep the key held down untill the white screen with drives pops up. Write down the names of the different options that you are given.

Now press the enter key to boot into Windows. Log on to Macrumors and tell us what you saw.

Chances are you already have Mac OS X installed.

8. shimunna thread starter macrumors newbie

New Problem

okay the screen is turned off somehow. i just turned off the laptop for a sec, when i turned it on, there's no display, full black. i can see the "turned on" light, the battery is well charged but there's no display. i tried connecting it with a monitor (not a mac monitor) but the monitor says "no signals detected." what should i do? :confused:

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

It's a well known defect in that model MBP, the GPU is most likely fried, it needs a complete logic board replacement. The free repair program for that ended on december 7th 2012, you're out of luck unless you want to pay for the repair, which isn't really worth it on a 5 year old computer.