Need MacBook for School

ncbetz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Magnolia, Texas
Hi,

I have a 2017 MacBook currently and need to upgrade to a MBP for school.

When does Apple generally upgrade their computers? I am tempted to wait for 2020 laptops but not sure when that would release. Not fan of current keyboard.

Thanks

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Hi,

When does Apple generally upgrade their computers? I am tempted to wait for 2020 laptops but not sure when that would release. Not fan of current keyboard.

Thanks
No way to wait a bit longer? It would be a shame to get the current keyboard and have them ship one with a new keyboard, bugger screen, etc in 6 months.

Reactions: ncbetz

casperes1996

macrumors 601
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Why do you need to upgrade to an MBP?

Unlike iPhones that are always in September, there's no strict release schedule for Macs I'm afraid. Intel and AMD can both influence when Apple can release it and Apple themselves also need to be ready with something. Rumours indicate a very expensive 16" could come in not too long. - Based on it not being out yet as the rumours would've indicated, my guess is that Apple has pushed it down the road with intent of refreshing the whole MBP line all at once instead of adding a new tier first. Thus I expect it to be in March. - But that's nothing but guesswork. - You can check the MacRumors Buyer's Guide. It's often the best indication we have.

ncbetz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Magnolia, Texas
No way to wait a bit longer? It would be a shame to get the current keyboard and have them ship one with a new keyboard, bugger screen, etc in 6 months.
I can probably wait till June or July at latest.

Why do you need to upgrade to an MBP?

Unlike iPhones that are always in September, there's no strict release schedule for Macs I'm afraid. Intel and AMD can both influence when Apple can release it and Apple themselves also need to be ready with something. Rumours indicate a very expensive 16" could come in not too long. - Based on it not being out yet as the rumours would've indicated, my guess is that Apple has pushed it down the road with intent of refreshing the whole MBP line all at once instead of adding a new tier first. Thus I expect it to be in March. - But that's nothing but guesswork. - You can check the MacRumors Buyer's Guide. It's often the best indication we have.
School of Engineering requires MBP (new rule). I read on the 16” and am not interested in it due to price. I would like a 13”... I may hold out as long as possible and purchase 2019 begrudgingly in June if no refresh. Thanks for info.

jerryk

macrumors 601
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

School of Engineering requires MBP (new rule). I read on the 16” and am not interested in it due to price. I would like a 13”... I may hold out as long as possible and purchase 2019 begrudgingly in June if no refresh. Thanks for info.

Hopefully they will have a 14" by that time.

BootLoxes

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2019

There was also talk of a 14” model too. Thats what I am waiting on. Hopefully will be out by the end of summer

casperes1996

macrumors 601
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Did they give any reasoning for that rule?
And yeah, I wouldn't expect interest in the 16" for students. Only mentioned it cause I think its release will now be aligned with the refresh of the rest of the lineup, in my guesswork, March.

psingh01

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Are you sure the MBP is not just a recommended model? Honestly, a 2017 MacBook could probably get you through most of your school years. Definitely for your first two years when you aren’t taking many engineering classes anyway.

Strangedream

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2019
Singapore
Mac update patterns are not regular, sometimes you have new MBP in April/May, sometimes it can be in October/November. If you're on a budget I would advise you checking out their refurbished MBP, great products for great prices, some might even come with custom upgraded config.

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
Hi,

Thanks
Must you have the Pro or can you hold onto the 12” MacBook a bit longer? If you don’t like the keyboard on the MacBook, the current Pro is somewhat more reliable but has the same overall feel.
That said, I have both a 2017 MacBook and a 2019 13” base Pro. The latter is considerably faster with the quad-core processor.

ncbetz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 9, 2016
Magnolia, Texas
There was also talk of a 14” model too. Thats what I am waiting on. Hopefully will be out by the end of summer
14" sounds nice. I used to have a 15" but it was too bulk.

Hopefully they will have a 14" by that time.
Agreed!

Did they give any reasoning for that rule?
And yeah, I wouldn't expect interest in the 16" for students. Only mentioned it cause I think its release will now be aligned with the refresh of the rest of the lineup, in my guesswork, March.
Lets hope so!

Are you sure the MBP is not just a recommended model? Honestly, a 2017 MacBook could probably get you through most of your school years. Definitely for your first two years when you aren’t taking many engineering classes anyway.
Unfortunately, the School of Engineering said that if you want to use an Apple MacBook then it must be a Pro model. I am unsure why. This policy is new this year and pretty controversial. The alternative was some Windows device, which I am not interested in. I am sure it would be fine, but I am very familiar with macOS and would prefer to not relearn.

Mac update patterns are not regular, sometimes you have new MBP in April/May, sometimes it can be in October/November. If you're on a budget I would advise you checking out their refurbished MBP, great products for great prices, some might even come with custom upgraded config.
Ok thank you. If it refreshes in November, March, April, or May I should be fine. I really just need to have a device by June. What do you mean by custom config?

Must you have the Pro or can you hold onto the 12” MacBook a bit longer? If you don’t like the keyboard on the MacBook, the current Pro is somewhat more reliable but has the same overall feel.
That said, I have both a 2017 MacBook and a 2019 13” base Pro. The latter is considerably faster with the quad-core processor.
I can get away with 12" this year. I need a Pro by June. I think I will wait as long as possible in hopes of a refresh before purchasing a 2019 Pro (probably refurbished). I don't mind feeling of current keyboard, but the flaws are far too frequent and annoying.

Strangedream

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2019
Singapore
Ok thank you. If it refreshes in November, March, April, or May I should be fine. I really just need to have a device by June. What do you mean by custom config?
Custom config like built-to-order (BTO), e.g. 1TB storage instead of the standard 512GB. Don't rush it you still have to so make sure you're getting a Mac that will still meet your needs for years to come.

marco_mechanic

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2019
Hi,

Thanks

Newest Macbook Pro 16 is espected in launch 2020 but without big design changes.
Every October is released a new version of OS.
If you buy newest Macbook Pro, that one is dated July od 2019 so it's only four (4) years old.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
If you can "hold on" with the 2017 MacBook (which isn't really that old), I'd wait until the 2020 MacBook Pro's come out with the new keyboard.

I sense that it will be "worth the wait"...