Need mach_kernal

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Jericho14, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Jericho14 macrumors member

Jericho14

I have OSX Maverick 10.9.5 installed on my iMac. Using CCC, I tried to copy my HDD to an external HDD, but it told me that it would not be bootable because my source drive (on the iMac) doesnt have the file, mach_kernal. How can I rectify this problem? Is it possible to download the OSX 10.9.5 again, and if so, would a re-install fix this problem? Thanks in advance.

2. sharon22 macrumors regular

First, please do a search on your computer to make *sure* that mach_kernel is really missing (I believe kernel is spelled with an "e" double check that). I don't know if Spotlight will find it, but I know on my computer, I use an application called, "Find Any File," instead of Spotlight. I searched my computer for mach_kernel and it is found in the root of your hard drive.

You can find it (if it is there) by launching Terminal, and typing in the following exactly (copy and paste it) and substitute "Your_Hard_Drive_Name" with the name of your hard drive. If you've named your hard drive "Hard Drive" or any word with a space in it, be sure to put an "escape slash" before the space, like this: hard\ drive

So, if the name of your hard drive is Macintosh Hard Drive, do this:

cd /Volumes/Macintosh\ Hard\ Drive

Now type:
    ls -ainrst

A big list will appear. Towards the top should be the "mach_kernel" you are looking for.

If it is NOT there, then use Find Any File to search someone elses computer. If you find that THEY have a mach_kernel, then be sure to write a letter to Apple and ask permission from them for you to copy it from your friend's computer to your computer before you do so. If they write back and say you can copy it from your friend's computer, then copy it and put it where it is supposed to go, and then everything should be fine. :D

3. bobdamnit macrumors regular

mach_kernel is located in the root of the hard drive. So open the hard drive on the desktop. Its in there. You will need to show all hidden files and folders before it can be seen.

Copy it from your running copy of OS X to your backup and make sure you put it in the correct location!

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If CCC did not clone your mach_kernel, then it probably did not clone other parts of Darwin that are required to boot from your cloned OS. My advice to you is rerun CCC with the proper settings for a bootable clone.