Need MacOS 9.0 (or 8.0) disk image

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Mac-Biodiesel, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Mac-Biodiesel macrumors newbie

I'm running SheepShaver on my Intel MBP so that I can emulate OS 9.0.4 (SS doesn't work with versions after that). I used an OS 9 disk image that came as an iMac restore disk, so the software is specific to that hardware, which is causing some minor problems with the emulation.

The OS boots up fine in SheepShaver and I can run applications, but there was no sound, and trying to access the sound control panel gave me an error. I installed update 9.0.4 from Apple's website and that gave me access to the control panel, but there is no "built-in" device listed in the sound output area for me to select - hence the continuing lack of sound. :(

Does anyone happen to have a disk image of OS 9.0 (or 8.0), that didn't come with a specific computer? I'm pretty sure that will fix the issue.

:apple:

2. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

Buy-it-on-eBay..!

We don't encourage software piracy here...

vSpacken

3. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Well there was no where that the OP stated they were not going to pay for it.

I only have a 9.2 and an 8.6 disc, but I can't let go of them sorry.

ebay it will cost you maybe $5

I don't have time to check now, but I think Apple made OS 8 obsolete ware, and available for download. You should be able to find it by tooling around. I know for sure you can download 7.5 for free from Apple. Not positive about 8 but it is worth a shot.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Apple stopped it at System 7.5. You can download the Mac OS 7.6.1 and 8.1 updates but they still require owning 7.6 and 8.0 respectively. Unless Apple started a new download site I just checked their Older Software Downloads and this limit still exists.

I guess Apple feels that any OS with the moniker Mac OS rather than System is too advanced to offer as a free download.

5. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I thought you could download OS 9 from apple?

6. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Hi!

You can't fix it, that is the problem with sheep-shaver+Mac OS 9.
    Mac OS 8 however works great!

7. Mac-Biodiesel thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly.

8. Mac-Biodiesel thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure I've read about people who've gotten it to work just fine with MacOS 9, but the difference was where they got the disk image from (system restore vs. retail disk, for example).

9. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

Wouldn't it be easier and quicker and a lot more fun to buy a classic Powerbook, it will probably come pre-installed with OS 8 or 9?

10. Mac-Biodiesel thread starter macrumors newbie

Heh heh. I actually own a Motorola StarMax 4000 that runs MacOS 9.1 just fine. I want all my eggs in one basket, though. I want to be able to fire up my Macbook Pro and run MacOS 9 if I so choose. I can already run 10.5, System 7, and Windows XP, all at the same time. ;-)

11. Mac-Biodiesel thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm considering that route. The problem is I want to be sure of what I'm getting. If I say I want a retail version, I want the person who is sending it to me to actually KNOW if that's the case. That's why I'm here.

12. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.1.b (iPod-3G1; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_B like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F138 Safari/525.20)

You can always ask the seller to describe the item. Even if they don't know, you can post up that description over here and we can help you verify it.

The true OS disk and packaging should be easy to identify.

[​IMG]

13. K3mp macrumors 6502

you can download OS 9 from apple. Every OS from 9.2.2 down can be downloaded for free..

14. Mac-Biodiesel thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have a link for that? I'm pretty sure it's only the updates you can get for free. The newest OS that they give out for free is system 7 I think. You can't even get 8.6 from them. :mad:

15. K3mp macrumors 6502

I'll look for it when I get home. I'm on my iPhone now. But when I was upgrading my grandma's powermac 6500 I was able to get from 8.X to 9.2.2 for free from apple's website.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i wasnt aware os 9 was free yet....

17. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

As far as I am aware, nothing after 7.5 is free. The reason is not that Apple doesn't want you to have it, but that there is code they licensed from other people in the newer versions and so if they offered it for free Apple would have to pay a royalty for every copy downloaded.

18. Mac-Biodiesel thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol, yeah I've been there before - tech support for the grandma. ;) I appreciate you checking, I'm interested to hear what you find out. My guess is that it was an updater that you ran, but I guess we'll see. I'd also like to know which version of OS 8 that was.

19. California macrumors 68040

California

20. Mac-Biodiesel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but I just got it taken care of.

It solved the problem to copy in the Sound control panel, the System file, and the Finder file from the non-iMac restore CD. You have to manually delete the corresponding files in OS9 first because it doesn't let you simply overwrite them. I've got sound now! :)