Need major help!!! Bricked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by (CORNHEAD), May 26, 2012.

1. (CORNHEAD) macrumors newbie

Hi guys, Im new to the forums but not new to iPods and iPhones but I recently acquired a white iPhone 3gs from a friend in a trade that didn't work. It is in horrible cosmetic condition btw. I plugged it in and it didn't work. I replaced the battery and then came up recovery mode when I plugged it in but I had issues restoring it because it kept giving me errors so I found this program called iReb 1.5 and that exploits your iPhone so you can restore without errors but after doing that, It doesn't recognize anywhere. iTunes doesn't recognize it but when windows does, it says failed to install device Driver software (DFU) and whenever I try to put it into dfu mode, it will beep like you just unplugged something from the usb ports but then it beeps three times once the process is done. Im using windows 7 64bit btw and I have also tried this on xp but no luck. I have been up all night and someone please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks in advance and thanks for your time
    GO:apple:!!!

2. (CORNHEAD) thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

So you bought a 3GS that is in horrible condition and doesnt work and you expect to fix it just by restoring it or trying different software hacks.
    Sounds like it has a lot more than cosmetic issues, hardware damage that cannot be fixed just by restoring.
    Who knows what's broken inside, bring it to a repair place or Apple.

4. (CORNHEAD) thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply,
    You probably didn't understand what I meant, I got it working but iReb messed it up. When I git it, I replaced it with a used battery that had almost no juice left but just enough to show the "plug usb into itunes" but I assume that the battery is bad and the reason I used iReb was because I got error 19 because you need to use a specific APN for the battery to work properly. I assume that its the battery because when I got it, it didn't recognize anywhere in itunes or windows but when I installed the other battery with just a bit more juice, it showed the restore to iTunes thingy.
    Any other ideas before I go and get an APN specific battery?
    Thanks

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I had no idea the battery was apn specific.
    I'd bring it to someone who knows more about it's hardware to take a look at before wasting any more money.
    Ireb doesn't cause hardware issues or anything a dfu restore cannot fix.

6. (CORNHEAD) thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the reply,
    I just bought my APN specific battery because an iPhone 3g battery in a 3gs will not charge because the battery has special circuitry. Will update once I get my new battery.

7. GalvaJ macrumors regular

GalvaJ

Now you learned a lesson. Don't buy or trade for a trashed iPhone..:rolleyes:

8. (CORNHEAD) thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess you're right but I got the iphone for free. Wanna know how?
    My friend gave me a fake ipod nano 6g and it is a really bad fake that isn't even touchscreen and he gave it to me because he didn't know how to use it so I traded it to someonee for the iphone. Im pretty sure it's the battery and il let you know when I get it. Even if it doesn't work, it's still a great deal on my part because the lcd alone is worth at least 20 bucks and a broken logic board is 80:eek::D

9. rogerbarrett macrumors regular

i think any hardware is damage in the phone. Try to buy for getting more fun.

10. (CORNHEAD) thread starter macrumors newbie

11. (CORNHEAD) thread starter macrumors newbie

Glad to say that the iPhone is in full working order
    I got the battery and its been about a week now and it works flawlessly
    The gb on the back was scratched out but the iphone truly is a 32gb!
    Great deal on my side:)