Need major help deciding if MBA will be right for my needs.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by slowloris615, Jul 23, 2012.

1. slowloris615 macrumors newbie

Feb 2, 2012
    I've been searching forums, reading articles and reviews, and would appreciate some input from the macrumors community on this.

Im a pro video editor by trade. For my at home editing I use AVID running on windows along with all my power hungry programs. I occasionally get final cut stuff I'd like to help people with, and my older MBP (core 2 duo) barely can hang with the ProRes.

So to keep this short I need a portable device for writing, travel, and some light final cut 7 work. Maybe some light after effects. I understand the video card is limited and such, but all the big time stuff I will do on my windows box. (quick defense Im still a PC gaming addict and avid on windows runs pretty smooth)

Anyway, I have an Ipad3 and this may be another "in between" device, but I think the 13 inch 8 gigs 128 will handle most of these tasks I throw at it?
  2. snow blind macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2011
    It will be great for the portability and light work. Final cut struggles on the 2012 base Air... well FCPX did on mine. It's not catastrophic... just not pleasant.
  3. glen e macrumors 68030

Jun 19, 2010
    Ft Lauderdale
  4. techocd macrumors newbie

Mar 16, 2012
    I have an iPad and an Air, both serve different purposes. If the MacBook does something the iPad can't for you, who cares if they are similar. I love both, similarities and differences alike.