Need major help with header design

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by SchneiderMan, Feb 2, 2010.

1. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I really need some suggestions on how to redesign my header and logo like repositioning and what not, and make it better.

http://schneidersstudios.com

Thank you!

2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Theres a heck of a lot of stuff going on. I don't know where to look and the layout isnt very clear. Less is more my friend. :)

For the header I'd get rid of the box with rounded corners as it serves no purpose and simply adds clutter. I would probably make the logo slightly smaller and left align it and see what it looks like without the reflection.

You also have lines in between the menu buttons on the left that also serve no purpose and make the menu cluttered. If the boxes are separating the buttons, why do you need the lines?

It's the little things (or lack of) that add up to a great design. My advice is get rid of anything that is not essential.

:)

EDIT: Oh yeh and stick to a maximum of 2 fonts. Use different weights of those fonts for emphasis.

3. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

I would also reccomend that simple is better...

It could be as easy as just removing your background image and keeping it a simple one tone colour I would reccomend black or dark blue.

Also If you are going to stay true to you promise of Reviews and Unboxings made simple then I would reccomend two other things... Keep advertising lower in the page and less obtrusive and put the titles of your posts above the videos (Makes it easier to read).

I would also suggest using a smaller video pane - it would look neater and people can always enlarge while they are watching if they want to.

Good Luck - its I cool site ;)

4. SchneiderMan thread starter macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

The box with rounded corners in the header? you mean the orange outlined logo header thing? or where it says Featured reviews?

Also i added those thin lines on the left vertical nav bar to make it more menuis?

Thanks!

Thank you i will take everything into consideration and try to improve.

Also it's hard to know the exact header size in iWeb so i can make a perfect header and logo in PS ):

Ok i changes that box a little, would this be better? or just leave out that box?

Attached Files:

5. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

i know you've asked for advice on header, but after scrolling down through the site, i feel like it needs some cleaning up because there's too much stuff happening all at once. have you considered using a white color theme instead of black? i feel like the site has too much stuff going on, and the color combination isn't helping things. there's also lack of padding/margins on the sides where everything sticks right to the edge of the thing. the rags created by text in each article is also weird looking since it's box of space is wider than the images/videos.

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I mean the box around the logo i.e. the difference between the two you have just posted. What purpose does that extra box serve?

Also define 'Menuish'. I bet you can't :) A menu can look how ever you want it to look, my suggestion of taking out the lines was to make the site look cleaner and more professional.

Think of design like sculpting. You start out with a lot of ideas and take away everything you don't need. If you can simplify something without detracting from it's purpose then it's not finished. Logos show this to great effect. The best logos are usually the simplest. Look at Apples logo. You cant simplify it without it losing it's 'Appleness'.

That being said, design is all about opinion and many people will have different opinions to mine. As long as they can back up those opinions then thats ok.