Need mapping software to track US member locations

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PaperQueen, Jun 2, 2008.

1. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

I know there's got to be something out there that does this, but the minute you add "mapping" to a Google search, well...everything under the sun pops up.

I run a national association that includes "territory protection" for paid members. Given the number of members, it's quickly becoming a nightmare to track without some kind of easy visual to refer to (think: a US map with push pins on the location of each member).

I ran across Knapsack (from tinyplanetsoftware.com), but that's a lot more than I need--the entire world, ability to track travel itineraries, etc. is overkill for my purpose.

Anyone have a suggestion or two? I'm running 10.5.3 (and lovin' it).

Thanks in advance!

2. bradwill macrumors newbie

I'm one of the four founders of TinyPlanet Software, LLC and we created Knapsack. I realize Knapsack may do a lot more than you need for this project, but feel free to give it a try; there's a 30-day demo with no restrictions available on our website.

As for another suggestion, have you considered using Google "MyMaps?" You can create a map on Google Maps, add your own pins, add information to the pop-up postcards for those pins, etc. I think might be exactly what you're looking for. We used a Google MyMap to show where our customers reside: http://tinyurl.com/4mme7b

I hope that helps!

Good Luck!
    Brad Willoughby
    TinyPlanet Software, LLC
    http://tinyplanetsoftware.com

3. PaperQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

You must be reading my mind, Brad. I downloaded the program last night to test run, and immediately recognized my need for more cities and municipalities shown that Knapsack offers. Still...it's a great program for travel. Good job.

Just tripped over that option about five minutes after testing out Knapsack. Seriously...are you reading over my shoulder? ;)

Until then, didn't even notice the "My Maps" option. And yes, it's perfect. Plugged in a bunch of our members last night, with more to go today.

Thanks for the suggestions nonetheless. I'm spreading the word about Knapsack to friends who frequently hit the road.