Need Microsoft Access for school...best & cost efficient way?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bluedukies8, Jan 9, 2014.

1. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

As the post states, I am needing to have the Microsoft Access program for a Database class. I recently switched to Mac and have a Late 2012 Mac Mini i7. I am trying to figure out the easiest and not super expensive way to have the program on my Mac.

I did a chat with an Apple rep last night, he stated to get the Microsoft Office for Mac Home & Business. I looked at the description and it does not mention Access.

Through the school I am attending, they have Microsoft Office 365 University. It shows it is compatible with Mac and has Microsoft Access. But, isn't 365 through the web? Will this have all the features I would need for a class on databases?

I looked at Parallels, but saw you have to purchase Windows. Is this the route to go? If so, do I go Win7 or go up to Win 8? The book for class I purchased last night references Win7 a lot.

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to get this figured out before I go an purchase stuff that won't work or is incorrect. I appreciate any help that is passed along!

2. IA64 macrumors 6502

AS far as I know, You need Windows OS.

Microsoft Access is not fully supported under OS X. I couldn't load Visual Basic scripts or applications in Access.

Office 365 offer a yearly subscription so you don't have to buy it. It's relatively cheap.

3. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I'd check to see if you are eligible for a school discount copy of Windows 7/8 and Office.

The 365 subscription allows you 5 computers with Office for an annual fee, can be the 365 flavour Office 13 for Windows or Office 2011 for Mac.

4. bluedukies8 thread starter macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

I'll check into that and see if I can get any discounts as it looks like I will need to buy the OS even if I want to go the 365 subscription route.

365 has some ** with the following: "**Access and Publisher available on PC only; OneNote not available on Mac OS".

5. bluedukies8 thread starter macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

Just wanted to update in case anyone was wondering, but I just found out that I can purchase Microsoft Office Professional through my campus bookstore for $10. It should have Access on it as well! Just found my cheapest way lol. I will go in and pick it up tomorrow. Thanks all for the feedback. I can update if it does pan out ok. :D

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Access is Windows only, so you'll need a copy of Windows as well.

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Which should be similarly cheap or even free through the university.

8. chrfr macrumors 603

Maybe. At the university where I work, I can get Office for $10 but no special discount beyond the regular educational discount on Windows. It all depends on what contract the university has with Microsoft.

9. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The university I attended had no special deals on any MS software, but a friend who went to a different school nearby could get pretty much everything for $10, operating systems included.

This was back when XP launched, so things could very well have changed since then.