Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
At Homedepot.com there are some videos that I want to watch and it says I need a MIME plug in to view them? Where can I get one?

Here is what it says:

The page “Home Depot Video Library : This Old House How To Videos” has content of MIME type “application/x-oleobject”. Because you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can’t be displayed.

I also already have Macromedia Flash 7.0 which is what I thought might view the video.???

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
flyfish29 said:
At Homedepot.com there are some videos that I want to watch and it says I need a MIME plug in to view them? Where can I get one?

Here is what it says:

The page “Home Depot Video Library : This Old House How To Videos” has content of MIME type “application/x-oleobject”. Because you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can’t be displayed.

I also already have Macromedia Flash 7.0 which is what I thought might view the video.???
My take on this is that oleobject is an OLE object. As you should know, OLE is a Microsoft technology for linking and embedding objects. I doubt that you will ever see a non-Microsoft Windows plug-in for it.

railthinner

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
MIME is a system of identifying file types based on their extension. It's not a file type itself.

Anyway, Windows Media Player might work. If not you should email the webmaster or company and ask for assistance then tell them to provide cross platform standard video. Real Player or QT as suggestions.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
Can I use my Apple Macintosh to watch videos on this web site?

This website is currently optimized for Mac users with OS X with Internet Explorer and the latest version of Windows Media Player. However, you may encounter some technical difficulties or reduced functionality.

I tried Internet Explorer and it began to load, so it seemed to work.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
flyfish29 said:
so does this mean it would work with explorer on the Mac? Cause I can get the audio to work, but no video.???
As luck (?) would have it, Home Depot's videos work just fine in Internet Explorer on MacOS X. However, they seem to work only in Internet Explorer.

dutrat

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2005
the only real cure to the x-obelobject MIME plug-in is.....

It sucks but it is a Direct X plugin that only works for micrsoft OS. The only real cure is to buy virtual p.c. software from apple/macmall. It is a software that opens a pc enviornment on your mac OSX. If you already have a micro OS(like 2000 or XP) you will only need the basic package($100), if not, you will need the one with the microsoft XP added to it($200). It is a load of crap that apple hasn't putout a comprable plugin that works, but if you buy this software you will never have any compatability problems ever again.

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
Talk about reviving an old post of mine...so I am trying to listen/watch a ball game tonight on channelsurfing.net and it says this when I try and load:

The page “Missouri” has content of MIME type “application/x-oleobject”. Because you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can’t be displayed.

Help?

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Talk about reviving an old post of mine...so I am trying to listen/watch a ball game tonight on channelsurfing.net and it says this when I try and load:

The page “Missouri” has content of MIME type “application/x-oleobject”. Because you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type, this content can’t be displayed.

Help?

I get the same message when I open the Sirius Internet player on my Mac Pro, but it ends up working anyway. Ironically, I don't get that message when I run it on my iMac.

I think it may have something to do with the Flip4Mac plug-in. I installed it on my iMac back in November and have never had any issues but I installed it on my Mac Pro last week and get that message every time. Maybe my iMac has a different (older) version that works better or something?

Enzo

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
I get a very similar message when trying to access streaming radio. Still haven't found a good solution for this problem.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
So I figured it out. On my iMac, which never gets the error, I have two plugins for Flip4Mac (Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin and Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin). For some reason, my Mac Pro only had the first one (Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin), so I copied the .webplugin file from my iMac and sent it to the Mac Pro and put it in the HD > Library > Internet Plug-ins file and it fixed the problem.

EDIT: I attached this file to a post down the page.

mmij

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
mime plug in

hi ignatius,

could you send me both files for flip macs to resolve mime plug in problem x-oleo. i'm a new mac owner and starting to regret my new purchase. perhaps, this will alleviate my frustration.
tks.
saskmei@hotmail.com

September08

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
Please send file - Plug in MIME

Hi Ignatius,

I'd truly appreciate it if you could send the file for opening videos that requires plug-in MIME to my email address: lhabidin@gmail.com

many thanks ;-)

So I figured it out. On my iMac, which never gets the error, I have two plugins for Flip4Mac (Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin and Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin). For some reason, my Mac Pro only had the first one (Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin), so I copied the .webplugin file from my iMac and sent it to the Mac Pro and put it in the HD > Library > Internet Plug-ins file and it fixed the problem.

If anyone needs that little file, let me know and I can get it to you. I don't really have anyplace I can post the file, but if someone knows where I can post it for free, I'm more than willing to do that, too.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Remember, this file will only help you if you have Flip4Mac installed already, but for some reason don't have the "Flip4Mac MWV plugin.webplugin" file in your Internet Plugins folder.

keithlung

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2008
Hi there good day everyone,
mind to send me a copy of both of the file as well?nt sure bt i downloaded for flipmac is Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin not the mwv .. so mind to send me both the webplugin and plugin.plugin to lohtuonglung@gmail.com thanks a lot mate :p

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Hi there good day everyone,
mind to send me a copy of both of the file as well?nt sure bt i downloaded for flipmac is Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.webplugin not the mwv .. so mind to send me both the webplugin and plugin.plugin to lohtuonglung@gmail.com thanks a lot mate :p

That "sentence" makes no sense. I'm going to try to attach the file to this post.

Attachments

• Flip4Mac.zip
    452.6 KB · Views: 1,766

Clarrie

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2007
IgnatiusTheKing

You are a marvel. Your plugin worked beautifully for me (Intel MacBook Pro). Thank you.

ps, I know Australia's a long way away, but gee your avatar looks like the Governor of Alaska!

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
IgnatiusTheKing

You are a marvel. Your plugin worked beautifully for me (Intel MacBook Pro). Thank you.

ps, I know Australia's a long way away, but gee your avatar looks like the Governor of Alaska!

Glad it worked for you and my avatar doesn't just look like the governor of Alaska. ;)

ZOIETUNG

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
could you please send one to my email.

I really need it for my online study. Many thanks!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.