Need Mini Displayport to DVI cable that doesn't block ports 2011MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djrobsd, Aug 13, 2011.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

I bought one from monoprice and it blocks the ports, so I can't plug a Firewire cable or one of the USB cables into the port. I'm wondering if there might be a better one out there. I don't want to use the Minidisplay port to DVI adaptor from Apple because that then requires me to plug the DVI cable into the adaptor which then hangs out the back of my computer, so it would be better to have a direct plug in cable rather then a dongle sticking out the back.

I have the 15 inch 2011 MacBook Pro...

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Better than having a solution that doesn't block the port?

4. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope. Apple's (and the monoprice link that the other poster sent) are both dongles that stick out the back and then you have to plug a monitor cable in. I don't want to use a dongle because I have my laptop sideways with the Book Arc, and having a dongle hang out will put pressure on the port, as well as having a lot of clutter sticking out the back of the computer. Someone has to make a decent cable that doesn't block ports.

5. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Since you seem to be an engineer, you should make one yourself.

6. borisiii, Aug 15, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

borisiii macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

7. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

I have this exact model myself, and I can confirm it does work really well. The passive - no external power supply needed - signal conversion chip is squirreled away inside the molded DVI plug (which is no bigger than an ordinary DVI plug), and it's solidly made and is even fairly pleasing to the eye... :p

The thumb screws could have been more ergonomic, but since most people just secure them once and then leave them pretty much the hell alone it doesn't really matter.

I didn't buy my cable via Ebay though, I ordered it through an ordinary bricks&mortar store. 2 meter cable (quite slim too, much slimmer than any DVI cable I've ever owned), and works great with a 2011 13" MBP + Dell 19" DVI monitor. If you can get hold of this one, I'm sure you'll be satisfied. :) It's exactly like what you want after all, no dongle, no excessive load on your port (I also use my lappy turned sideways).