Need monitor help/advice asap

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by joejoejoe, Aug 17, 2009.

1. joejoejoe macrumors 65816

I just bought a Samsung SyncMasterP2070 and am having some issues with it. I thought I was buying a really good top end monitor and am very unimpressed.

This is my main problem: when playing video or switching between photos, certain bright areas seem to "solarize" (don't know if that's the right word for it, basically instead of showing a smooth transition from a darker part of an object to a brighter part, i see bands of colors--dark beige, lighter beige, medium beige, light beige--and it looks horrible).

Also, in iPhoto, the dark grey background behind my photos looks like it has some sort of houndstooth pattern on this monitor.

Is there a fix for this or do I need to go into best buy and exchange? If so, what should I buy? I'm using this monitor for photo editing and video editing and can't have these problems.

Thanks in advance.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You could try calibrating the monitor, System Preferences -> Displays -> Color -> Calibrate

If that doesn't help, I'd choose other display instead of that Samsung

3. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

That's not exactly a "top end" monitor but it does sound like something isn't right with it.

I guess I'd start with the simple stuff, make sure the resolution is set to the native res of the monitor, check around in the monitor's menu, stuff like that. Then head to a Samsung forum and see if anybody else has similar experiences.

Do you have another machine you can try it on?

4. joejoejoe thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks I'll try calibrating tonight.

I do have another machine I could try.

If it turns out theonitor just sucks, I'm going to return it. Any advice on what I should get? Dell?