Need more internal storage in my MacBook ... what should I do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by InfiniteLoopy, Dec 27, 2010.

1. InfiniteLoopy macrumors 6502

Hello all,

So my internal drive is nearly full and I'm thinking about internal storage solutions.
    I initially wanted to move all my music and photos to a network drive but it seems too complicated and slow as my music is in Apple Lossless format and my photos are RAW.

What I'd love to do was have an SSD drive but they're too expensive for what I want to pay now so I was thinking of maybe:

- installing a small (40GB) SSD for OS and applications, then have all my media on an external drive.

- like above, but installing the media hard drive in the optical drive bay and use optical drive in external case when I rarely need it.

- getting a Seagate Momentus XT (hybrid drive)

- Getting a regular SATA drive

I've read that Intel will be unveiling new cheaper SSDs soon. Does anyone have any info?

What would people advise based on the above choices?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you're fine with Optibay, then do that. It provides you the best of both worlds, SSD and big HD.

3. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks.

Are there any negatives to optibay, except for the fact that I wouldn't have an internal optical drive?

4. dime21 macrumors 6502

that's it.

5. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

OK thanks.

Thinking about the SSD now.
    I've read that Sandforce and Intel are releasing huge updates "twice the capacity for same price" to their lineups soon. Is it therefore wise to buy now?
    If so, which brands and models are recommended?

I'd like to get OS, Apps and Aperture library on SSD. Would there be huge speed gains if I get the library on the SSD as opposed to having it on the HDD?

Also, what about having it connected via USB2 vs opticalbay? What would the speed difference be?

Thanks

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Depends. If you're in market for smaller SSD, then you could just buy now as their prices shouldn't drop that much. Availability of the new SSDs may be fairly low in the beginning and there may always be issues

OWC and OCZ are good but there are other with SandForce as well.

It will be noticeably faster but it also depends on how big library do you have. If it's big, then store it in the HD as big SSDs are expensive.

ODD uses SATA 3Gb/s which is much faster than USB 2.0. Therefore, use ODD if possible. That way you don't have to drag an external HD with you all the time

7. al2o3cr macrumors regular

Not really, but make sure you put your mechanical disk in the standard hard disk mount; there's additional shockmounting there relative to the Optibay. The system is completely indifferent to which drive is attached to which SATA cable.

8. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

OK thanks.

Which OCZ model would you recommend? Vertex 2? Agility 2?
    I don't need it to be insanely fast like for enterprises, but want something which is substantially better than HDD.
    What other brands are there which are recommended?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Vertex 2 and Agility 2 are nearly identical. They use the same controller but Agility 2 has worse random read&write performance for some reason. If Agility 2 is notably cheaper, then go for that. You can see other SSDs with SandForce controller in here

10. InfiniteLoopy thread starter macrumors 6502

OK thanks.

I'll see how long I can last with my last few GBs of space. Once it drops to 2-3, I'll buy whatever SSD is available.