Need more memory

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pixelmonkey, Oct 15, 2011.

1. pixelmonkey macrumors newbie

I need more memory for my imac 27" i5, I already have 4GB installed and was looking to upgrade I did a bit searching and found two options the thing is am I missing something because the price is such a massive difference? any advice would greatly appreciated

Apple Store
    Apple Memory Module 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 (PC3-8500) - 2x4GB SO-DIMMs £320.00

crucial
    8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-8500 memory module £40.79

thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How did you determine that you need more memory?

3. pixelmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

I am going to be using maya, mudmox matchmoving, Adobe Premiere aswell as using NUKE and I was advised to invest in some more memory, do you think 4GB would be enough to run all these?

4. simsaladimbamba

No, you need more RAM, but you can get RAM from Newegg or OWC for better prices. If you have a 2011 iMac, you can even go up to 32GB RAM with 8GB SO-DIMM modules, which cost around 420USD nowadays.

5. pixelmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry yes I meant RAM my model late 2009 only allows for 16Gb would you advise on upgrading my RAM?
    thanks

6. simsaladimbamba

With those kinds of applications yes, especially if you make money with them and time is money.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I upgraded my iMac using 2 of the 8GB kits from Crucial and it's the best £80 I've spent in ages: my machine is silky smooth and much faster than it was

8. pixelmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks that reassuring I was just wandering about the price comparison between crucial and apple?

9. nOw2 macrumors regular

Apple are very expensive for memory, those prices are about right and you'll get exactly the same thing from both.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple does not manufacture RAM (all RAM that comes in Apple computers is made by other manufacturers) and Apple charges more than you would pay with other reputable RAM providers. Some great sources for Mac-compatible RAM are OWC and newegg.com.

11. pixelmonkey thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for all the advice much appreciated

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Always remember that Apple is a hardware company, thats where they make their money. Their software is dirt cheap but their hardware is expensive. Always try and get hard drives and ram from other sources because you will pay more from Apple.