Need more podcast functionality...possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WannaApple?, Sep 23, 2008.

1. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

ok I have a slight problem, there are a few of my podcasts that I subscribe to that I need on my phone. The only options I have in iTunes that semi work are to download the last 10 episodes or download all. The last 10 doesn't work because I need ones that are a bit older than that, however the ALL options doesn't work either since there are several hundred individual files.
    So like today when I am unexpectedly away from my computer all day i am screwed.
    So my question... Are there any options for either:
    1)being able to download as many or which episodes as I want
    2)being able to access my podcasts over wifi or while away from my computer
    3)I briefly read something that this may be possible with a jailbroken phone but was unable to find anymore info on that option

Can anyone help? I know I'm not the only one needing this since I read something about an app being denied that would help with this. Any ideas please?

2. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'd like to have per-podcast support - so I could just one episode of this, the last 5 episodes of that and so on.

Being able to grab new episodes over Wifi would be nice as well.

3. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Podcaster... oh wait Apple denied it because it greatly improved upon a non-iPhone app.
    Seriously, check it out: Podcaster
    :eek:
    WTF
    Apple has banned me from making new provisions. That means if you signed up before 9/23/2008, you can still install and use the app.
    :eek:

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Create a Smart Playlist and setup the rules however you want. I created a Smart Playlist which contains only podcasts created within the last 2 weeks and is capped at 3GB max. So my iPhone only was podcasts which are less than 2 weeks old up to 3GB max of podcasts.

Or just create a regular playlist and drag and drop the podcast you want into that playlist. Setup the iPhone to sync that playlist. This will do exactly what you want for #1.

5. WannaApple? thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that recommendation! I wasnt even aware of something called a Smart Playlist and even never thought of using a Playlist for my podcasts! I am keeping the regular podcasts that only sync the last 10 most recent, but am using a playlist for my podcast archive to refer back to older episodes as I need. Working like a charm for now until hopefully Apple gets off their rump to make this a standard feature. Thanks again! ;) :apple: