need more RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Strikin, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Strikin macrumors newbie

well I'm currently using a stock iMac G4 1.25GHz

well atm I'm at 512 ram I'm wondering if its possible to get 2g or 2.5g of ram out of this machine if it is what would you recommend?

also I'm still using 10.3.9 I know I need to upgrade but I just can't afford it for a few more weeks

2. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I would suggest getting 2GB of RAM at OWC. It has by far been my favorite Mac online parts store.

3. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Need to know the speed of your iMac to suggest what ram to get.

You should be able to run 10.4 no problem. You will need to search ebay or craigslist to find it though.

4. Strikin thread starter macrumors newbie

this is everything in memory in the about this mac

Size:512 MB
    Type: DDR SDRAM
    Speed:pC2700U-25330

5. Cap41 macrumors 6502

6. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

Alphaod...

I don't know if you read his post correctly with regards to what machine he has. He can't use that memory according to this http://eshop.macsales.com/Descripti...m?page=imacg4usb2.html&title=iMac G4 USB 2.0"

The links they provide on that page are for 1 regular 184-pin DIMMmodule, and one 200 pin SO-DIMM module...Interesting choice in mixing memory Apple....

I found this regarding the machine:

These models have one factory installed memory module in a 184-pin DIMM slot (the difficult to access top slot), and one 200-pin user-accessible SO-DIMM slot (the easy to access bottom slot).

§ Apple officially supports 1 GB of RAM in the "USB 2.0" models, but unofficially these models support 2 GB of RAM.

Apple does not consider the top memory slot to be "user accessible" and consequently declines to provide applicable upgrade instructions. Consequently, EveryMac.com does not recommend that users attempt to upgrade the memory in the top slot themselves.

It is challenging to upgrade the memory in the top slot, and as such, users with limited experience upgrading computers would be wise to either just upgrade the memory in the bottom slot -- which is easy -- and make do with the "easy maximum" of memory or hire a professional. Even those with extensive experience upgrading systems might think twice about whether the "difficult" extra memory is really worth the trouble given the other limitations of the system.

Nevertheless, for the adventurous, the always excellent AccelerateYourMac has a detailed "take apart" guide for the iMac G4 that covers upgrading the memory in the top slot. The Italian Faqintosh also has very nice step-by-step instructions.