Need more restoring backup from time machine help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gadgetgirl85, Mar 3, 2009.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Ok so the restoring backup has left a big folder with all my backup on my desktop. How do I get my pictures into iphoto and tunes into itunes? I assume they are all in that big folder with all my stuff but I have no idea how to get them into those programs. When I open itunes and iphoto they are not there

2. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

You can try just placing the corresponding folders from the backup into their rightful places. For example, placing the iPhoto Library from the backup into your Pictures folder in your home folder, as well as the iTunes folder into your music folder.

Worst case scenario, open up iTunes/iPhoto and just drag the entire folder from the backup into the apps open window or dock icon in which would re-import everything but you'd lose playlists (that's kept in the xml database file for iTunes, and something similar would be the case for iPhoto, though the events should remain the same) after which you can delete the originals (if iTunes is set to keep its own music folder, which is a default setting on the Mac OS) if you don't want them.

Edit: I don't think bumps are allowed in such a short period, for future reference.

4. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Thanks madog I will give that a try and also to be more patient in future :)