Need more space for Windows partition (Bootcamp)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by siritalks, Jan 25, 2012.

1. siritalks macrumors member

I've literally just created a 45GB partition in Bootcamp and installed Windows 7, but being the noob that I am, I've soon realised that 45GB won't be enough.

I've read the guide to resizing partitions, but all the methods seem to mention that it may harm my hard drive or lead to data loss.

Considering all I've done is installed Windows so far (haven't actually installed any additional programs) would it be easier and safer to go into Bootcamp and remove the Windows partition, and then try again with a bigger size? Or would that risk loosing data or corrupting my Mac OS X side of things too?

2. kpgh554 macrumors regular

kpgh554

yes it would e easier and quicker it won't upset osx. if click on help in menu bar type in bootcamp give way to do it

3. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Yes that is the most straight forward ... use bootcamp assistant to delete the partition ... reboot ( just to be sure ) ... check everything out in disk utility ... then start again ( always using bootcamp assistant ).

For me 60 gb is the smallest I would work with ... on a 256 gb macbook air ssd I am using an 80 gb bootcamp partition.