Need more space on my iMac, what are my options?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jdl8422, Oct 28, 2007.

1. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

Well I have a 24" iMac, 250gb HD. my HD is filling up quick with design projects and itunes. I currently have a 250gb ext. HD for my time machine backup. I don't really want to install a new higher capacity HD internally so I thought about putting my itunes and design projects on another ext but figured it would run slow? I figured the internal hd would cause me to loose everything, or i may be wrong. Any ideas on my situation?

2. mac-convert macrumors 6502a

mac-convert

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

iTunes will run just fine on an external drive. You can put other data on the TM drive. Or with the low costs just buy another drive.

3. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I run iTunes off of an external HD. It runs great!

4. Leon Kowalski macrumors 6502a

Leon Kowalski

You can probably save a few GB on the internal HD by deleting bloatware and unused apps. For example, the "Test Drive" versions of MS_Office and iWork take up about 2.5 GB (OVER HALF of the /Applications folder).
    GarageBand is also huge; if you don't use it, dump it (you can always reinstall it later).

LK