Need more space on my iMac, what are my options?

jdl8422

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
Louisiana
Well I have a 24" imac, 250gb HD. my HD is filling up quick with design projects and itunes. I currently have a 250gb ext. HD for my time machine backup. I don't really want to install a new higher capacity HD internally so I thought about putting my itunes and design projects on another ext but figured it would run slow? I figured the internal hd would cause me to loose everything, or i may be wrong. Any ideas on my situation?

mac-convert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2006
Are we there yet?
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

iTunes will run just fine on an external drive. You can put other data on the TM drive. Or with the low costs just buy another drive.

thebassoonist

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Davis, CA
Well I have a 24" imac, 250gb HD. my HD is filling up quick with design projects and itunes. I currently have a 250gb ext. HD for my time machine backup. I don't really want to install a new higher capacity HD internally so I thought about putting my itunes and design projects on another ext but figured it would run slow? I figured the internal hd would cause me to loose everything, or i may be wrong. Any ideas on my situation?
I run iTunes off of an external HD. It runs great!

Leon Kowalski

macrumors 6502a
You can probably save a few GB on the internal HD by deleting bloatware and unused apps. For example, the "Test Drive" versions of MS_Office and iWork take up about 2.5 GB (OVER HALF of the /Applications folder).
GarageBand is also huge; if you don't use it, dump it (you can always reinstall it later).

LK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.