Need more storage space

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dpsheetz, Jan 2, 2014.

1. dpsheetz macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help in advance,

I have a 3 year old mac book air 120 gig. 90% of my memory is being used up by what is classified as (other). Does anyone have a clue as to what other is. I use this computer for pictures, the web, email and some small invoices and maybe a letter or two. I have thousands of pictures that is using maybe 10% of the space.
    No music or videos. Please help. I recently installed cleanmymac2 and picked up 14 gig but need more free space.

Da

2. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

Download an app called Daisy Disk. It will let you investigate exactly how the space is being allocated.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

If you have Time Machine activated then its saving some of the backups on your local drive - local snapshots is what they call it. Your sleep image in /var/vm consumes some space also.

I like Omnidisksweeper because its free (yay) and it produces a nicely sorted list.

4. TomBlack macrumors newbie

Are you using time machine?

If you are then go into time machine setting and turn it off close the windows and look again how does you space look now. If it's alright then tick it back. I have to do this all the time.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That colored bar uses the Spotlight index for its readings, and it sounds like your Spotlight index may be corrupted and providing bad readings. Run the command below to reindex Spotlight then check again to see what the readings are.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /