Need more USB ports!!!! What to do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adamvk, Jun 15, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Heres the problem.

I have a MX Revolution mouse, external hard drive, Camera that uses USB cord, and a few flash drives. My Macbook Pro only has 2 USB ports.

I have my mouse/external hdd plugged in and operating all the time now. Sometimes I need to upload pictures/get files off my flash drive/sync iPod, and I have to unplug my external drive or mouse to be able to do this. If I had just ONE more USB port, it would make things a whole lot easier.

Now this summer I plan on buying an external monitor which means I need a keyboard as well.

So, what should I do?

Get a Wired Apple keyboard (would the USB port on it power my external drive), get a USB hub (same question), or something else?

Thanks.

Also is it OK if I do leave my external HDD on 24/7?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah get a hub, that's what they are for. I leave my external HD running 24/7.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, you can leave your external drive on 24/7

And get a USB hub

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. LurchNC macrumors regular

Hi,
    I would get a hub and plug the HD in one USB port and the Hub in the other. Everything you listed should work off a hub no problem. I usually get FW HD's for this reason actually.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Get a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

Or, get a USB hub.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Uh... no wired keyboard for this MBP user
    Blue Tooth mouse and keyboard

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I built my usb hub into the underside of my desk for all my external drives and iphone, if you can find a place to hide it, you need never notice the clutter of cables it creates.

8. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Any USB hub will work with your computer. You do not have to buy it from the overpriced Apple Store. You should be paying $20 at an absolute MAXIMUM.

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

almost any powered USB port will do. You can find them for $20.

11. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I use a Belkin Tunesync. I'm not sure if they're even available anymore, but I love mine. Works great, and lets me charge + sync my iPhone. Awesome. Mine was only ~$25, too.

12. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

It's $35 at Griffin, So I'm gonna buy it.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I use the Logitech Alto Notebook Stand. Serves two purposes in one device. You could also get a monitor that has hubs.

14. trbutler macrumors newbie

Check BestBuy on that Simplifi. I picked one up in May for $29 there...

15. bjorn989 macrumors member

If your external hard drive has a separate power adapter you should be alright with the Apple keyboard. If it is one of those 'portable' 2.5" hard disks that takes its power from the usb, the apple keyboard will be no use. Why don't you just get a 7 port powered hub, plug everything into that and plug it into the computer? That way you only have one cable to put into your computer when you take it off your desk and you have heaps of powered usb ports for flexibility.

I have relocated my printer and hard drives downstairs and connected them up to a powered hub and my airport extreme. That is the ideal way to solve the problem, hide your devices somewhere else and connect wirelessly... Or it is the best way I can see.

16. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

I got a Kensington Share5 USB dock for $15 when J&R was closing them out, but I haven't pulled it out of the box to test it yet. (Note to self: I should do that before the return period expires!)

Basically it lets you reassign USB ports between two computers; in my case I can share USB devices between either the desktop or the laptop. It has a printer passthrough feature where either computer can automatically print, but its a Windows-only feature (via software). The ports are all fully powered for hard drives that rely on USB for power.

17. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

You suffer a pretty sizable speed drop by going wireless, though (for the HDD's). Sure it is neat and you can have a crystal-clear desk, but your backups/transfers will take many times longer because the Airport just cannot fling all that data fast enough to shake a stick at an actual hard wire.

Just save the $80+ from the Airport Extreme, buy a cheap USB hub, and tuck the wires behind your desk like everyone else :rolleyes:

18. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

That looks pretty nice actually (though I already have a FireWire CF card reader).

For $35 you don't get a dock adapter for the iPhone 3G (or 3GS) with the Simplifi but at that price you could pick up a 3G/3GS three pack for $9 at an Apple store; unlike iPods it doesn't look like the 3GS iPhone will come with a dock adapter, just the USB sync/charge cable.

Edit: It looks like Griffin is selling single dock adapters for the 3G/3GS at $2/each.

19. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well I bought that Griffin Dock. Should come in 1-5 business days. :)

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You could also get a ExpressCard to USB adapter.

And the wired keyboard plug will not power any of your HDDs.

21. bjorn989 macrumors member

I realise that there is a drop in speed. I find that the convenience factor more than makes up for the speed drop. I can now go all around my house and access all of my data without having to plug anything in. That is the reason I bought a laptop instead of a desktop.

I don't know about you but I don't require the bandwidth that comes from USB all of the time. The $80+ is paid for convenience and mobility, not speed.

22. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Yes, there is a whole lot to be said for the portability factor. I guess it is something of a moot point for me since I live in an apartment, and if I need to access my data (which is only backups now, thanks to my new internal drive) I have no problem going "un-mobile".

It is all in what you need. Since the OP didn't mention anything about accessing data whilst away from the physical drives, I suggested going the quick and cheap route. Glad your solution works for you; personally though, I will live with the "inconvenience" of plugging in the drives so as to squeeze the most speed possible out of them.

23. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Any other great deals/recommendations for USB hubs?

All I find are ones that go over $30. Arghh, hehe.

:p

24. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk