Need Mouse and Wireless router recommendations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Leonavice, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Leonavice macrumors member

Hi All

I need recommendations for a mouse. Currently I am using a standard Apple wired mouse that comes with the iMac, but seriously, it has the worst center click button I've ever used before. Besides I need something with higher DPI. I'm also using an Orochi, but it's too small for desktop use (and for my hands) and so it's tethered to my rMBP for mobile usage.

I'm looking at Razer Taipan/Deathadder/Imperator/Abyssus (I game some of the time). Not sure which one will suit me, as I use a palm grip. Non-Razer mice are of course welcome, though I am limited in my knowledge in them. So I would like to hear any recommendations about them as well.

I'm also looking for a wireless router. Currently using Linksys WRT54g, but it's dying on me. I would have bought another one but it's EOL already. I'm looking for something similar in distance range.

Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You might check out the site Small Net Builder they have pretty good coverage of consumer routers. At the moment the ASUS RT-N66U router it their top rated. I have noticed several forum users here also have that router and seem to like it.

I would wait until after WWDC next Monday to see what Apple releases also. There are some rumors they will release a new 802.11ac router it that interests you.

3. EricT43 macrumors regular

I use a Razer Death Adder and I love it. I used the Apple Magic Mouse for a long time, and I love the swipe functionality of it, but honestly I think the ergonomics of that mouse are terrible, and I don't use it anymore. The Death Adder is really comfortable, and with the Synapse software it's infinitely adjustable.

As for routers, I got a Time Capsule and I have to say it's the best router I've ever had. And I've used a lot of them from Netgear, Linksys, D-Link, even had one hacked with DDRT software. The TC/Airport Extreme is really stable. With all my other routers I was kind of used to having to reboot them at least once a week, but the Time Capsule goes for months and months with no issues.

4. Leonavice thread starter macrumors member

Anybody knows what's the range of the new Time Capsule or the Airport Extreme? It doesn't have any visible antennas that I can put to a specific direction.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have not seen any formal tests with hard data, but I have seen a couple posts in other threads from users who report much better wireless performance with the new devices.

6. EricT43 macrumors regular

I don't know what the specs say, but I have my Time Capsule in a closet near the middle of my 2700 sq ft single-story house, and I have a strong signal everywhere, including the garage and the yard. My neighbor occasionally uses my guest network when his DSL is down. So I'd have to say it's better than average.

7. tengtengvn macrumors member

tengtengvn

My friend has one in the living room mobile home. If I stand just outside of the mobile home, the signal drops.

8. EricT43 macrumors regular

Maybe because the walls are metal?

9. Leonavice thread starter macrumors member

Well, what about vertical? In Singapore, we can live in houses 25 storeys above ground level. So, I was thinking it can reach the ground level common area. My current Linksys has a semi-stable signal 16 storeys high.