Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I'm 100% sure all of EFI-64 mac pro line up can use "Retina" display although it not come from Apple. (Underline: If Apple can build 27" Thunderbolt Retina display why Dell can't build Displayport Retina ultrasharp)

You never know. It could take dell forever to release one. But I guess it is possible.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I'm 100% sure all of EFI-64 mac pro line up can use "Retina" display although it not come from Apple. (Underline: If Apple can build 27" Thunderbolt Retina display why Dell can't build Displayport Retina ultrasharp)

I'm still not confident that you'll see such a thing in a 27" this year, or even next year unless they're really really pushing it. I can only guess Apple chose to ally with Sharp because Sharp doesn't really make panels for other display oems already, but Samsung and LG will come out with their own thing. I'll wait until NEC or Eizo comes out with such a thing before I become interested. I only buy the computers from Apple and an occasional idevice.

You never know. It could take dell forever to release one. But I guess it is possible.

Apple likes to release things early. In the case of the ipad displays, they're a bit half baked. Note the number of people on here talking about how many ipads they returned looking for a perfect one. This never happened to such a degree on older generations. In the case of an oem like Dell, that kind of return rate would be much harder on them. I don't think they could absorb it like Apple (not that Apple enjoys it).

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
I'm still not confident that you'll see such a thing in a 27" this year, or even next year unless they're really really pushing it. I can only guess Apple chose to ally with Sharp because Sharp doesn't really make panels for other display oems already, but Samsung and LG will come out with their own thing. I'll wait until NEC or Eizo comes out with such a thing before I become interested. I only buy the computers from Apple and an occasional idevice.
So the thing i want to tell is. There have the way to go Retina for old mac pro.

That its.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
So the thing i want to tell is. There have the way to go Retina for old mac pro.

That its.

It's graphics card and OS dependent. If the card supports displayport 1.2 (I think it's 1.2), and the OS supports such resolutions while also supporting the computer you're using, then you're fine. I mean if your mac pro makes it to mountain lion or whenever this is implemented. Now this doesn't mean it'll work with Apple's version given their attraction to weird non standard connections, but you should be able to get it from another brand. If it comes out half baked like the ipad screen, you'll see a lot of returns. Other oems like to wait for better stability as they can't always afford the cost of these returns.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.