Need Multi-session dvd burner - freeware

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by svdragonfy2, Feb 4, 2010.

1. svdragonfy2 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new Samsung USB DVD drive for $50 that is capable of writing & reading in every conceivable disk mode. However, Tiger's Disk Utility really doesn't support writing & reading multi-session (SAO) disks. Does anyone know any of any freeware DVD disk burning software that supports multi-session disk burning & reading?

I recently installed a current model DVD drive in my brother's Toshiba 2100 CDT (vintage 2000) running Windows 2000 Pro & got a program called CDBurnerXP that writes & reads multi-session disks & now I'm frustrated that I can't do it on my iMac or my wife's MacBook both running Tiger 10.4.11.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Are you talking about CDs or DVDs?

If you want to burn items to a disk in more than one session until the disc is full, use Disk Utility. This is called multisession burning. For more information, open Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities), choose Help > Disk Utility Help, and search for "multisession."

from http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh854.html
    via http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=mac+os+x+burn+session+10.4&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Disk Utility Help has the following to say:

Recording on a recordable CD more than once
    Normally, you can burn items to a recordable CD, such as a CD-R or CD-RW disc, only one time. However, if you use Disk Utility to burn the disc, you can burn items to a disk in more than one session as long as space is available. This is also called “multisession burning.”

To burn a disc, you need an optical drive in your computer or connected directly to your computer. You can’t burn a disc using a remote optical drive.

To burn to a recordable CD so you can burn to it again:

In Disk Utility, create a disk image that contains the files you want to burn to the disc.

The files must be from a partition with a Mac OS Extended disk format. To check a partition’s format, select the disk in Disk Utility, and look at the information at the bottom of the Disk Utility window.

Select the disk image in the list at the left, and then choose Images > Burn.

Select the “Leave disc appendable” checkbox. If you don’t see this option, click the triangle in the upper-right corner.

Insert a blank recordable CD in the optical drive and click Burn.

To add more files to the disc later, follow the steps above. You can continue this process until all available space on the disc is used.