Need Network Help! Can only connect when no one else is using it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cdmx88, Oct 16, 2009.

1. cdmx88 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I moved into a new house (with 5 house mates) and am having massively frustrating network issues. When I try to connect to the network, i get a "connection timeout" error. If i try many times (like 30), eventually I get on but the connection gets dropped after a few minutes.

The strangest part about it is when I am the only one home, it works fine. But if a roommate is home and on the network, I run into these issues. For example right now, when no one else is home, it works flawlessly. But at night, if another roommate is on it, it barely works at all. It only affects me, everyone else uses it without any problems.

I tried changing routers to an airport express and it STILL happens. This problem ONLY occurs on this network (not in class or in the office).

I'm sure it must be a settings issue since its only my macbook and only on this one network. I dont know much about networking but I feel like my macbooks info is conflicting with the other laptops and wont function.

Any ideas? I'm ready to snap this thing in half (warranty expired last month)

2. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Try asking the person that manages the router, to change the channel.

3. cdmx88 thread starter macrumors newbie

I manage it, ironically. I've tried changing the channel, changing security types (removing security), tried changing the router. Nothing has helped. I've also tried some other things I've read about like deleting preference files, removing preferred networks, deleting keychain passwords, etc. Nothing had any effect.

But it is ONLY that network, everywhere else my wireless works fine. And like I said, when its only me home, it works fine too.

4. melman101 macrumors 68030

What kind of router do you have? You should get an Airport Extreme.

5. Flipstar macrumors member

6. cdmx88 thread starter macrumors newbie

How exactly? On the router or on my machine? I'm pretty useless when it comes to this.

7. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

What kinda wireless router you have?

If you connect with a cable, directly to one of the router ports, I imagine you have no issues.

Try changing the authentication/security protocol on the router (from WPA, change it WEP and try to find what might be cause the issue.

Be easier if we knew the router make and model...

8. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

People, its not a router problem. The OP CHANGED routers.

OP, try checking on your machine that DHCP is enabled, as I assume your router is giving out IP addresses. You may have accidentially enabled a static IP address, in which case if one of your housemates got on, and the router assigned them that IP via DHCP, there would be conflict.

Go to System Preferences-> Network-> AirPort-> Advanced-> TCP/IP-> and hit the drop down menu and select "Using DHCP" for Configure IPv4

If "Using DHCP" is already selected, then I'd have to say you have a problem with your network card, and you should take your computer into an Apple Store

9. cdmx88 thread starter macrumors newbie

DHCP is enabled.

The only reason i question its the airport card is because its ONLY this network. Plus it works fine when I'm the only person home.

I use three different networks a day between work/class and home, and ONLY on my home network do I have this issues.

Can anyone think of any other reasons/settings that could be the issue here?

10. cdmx88 thread starter macrumors newbie