Need Network Tutorial - Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lugesm, Aug 17, 2008.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Just installed Airport Extreme and got all 3 of my Macintosh computers working properly.

The hard part: I want to be able to file share, screen share, etc.
    Can someone PLEASE point me to a tutorial for setting up sharing between my 3 computers on an Airport Extreme wireless network?
    I have been struggling with trial-and-error approaches all afternoon, and I am still not able to share anything between the Macs.

Thanks.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

system preferences>> sharing>> check all the things you want to share.

You're on Leopard right?

3. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Yes, all my machines are on Leopard. Sorry I didn't mention that.

I did as you suggested, and the machines still do not see each other. Still trying.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

And all the machines are on the same wired/wireless network

5. viggen61 macrumors 6502

Apple file sharing is very straightforward. I'm not sure why you're having troubles.

As mentioned before, use the sharing pane in System Prefs to set it up. Make sure that each machine has a distinct name assigned (top of the sharing pane). To access another machine's files, in Finder, do GO:Network (same as doing GO:Connect to server:browse), and the other machines should show up. Select one, and log on.

They do need to be on the same network. If the AE is set to distribute IP addresses (DHCP is enabled, and the AE is not in Bridge mode), each machine should have a distinct IP in either the 10.0.1 range or the 192.168.1 range.

If the AE is in bridge mode, then your modem (cable or DSL) or router should also be distributing IP addresses.

I've done this several times, and it's really easy, and practically automatic if all the Macs are using the same Wireless (or wired) network.

What happens when you try to file share?

:apple::apple:

6. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Thanks so much to everyone for your support.

My configuration:

Cable Modem>Cat5 Cable>Vonage Router>Cat5 Cable>Airport Extreme.

I finally got the system to work fairly well, but it was not easy. I can now completely control my wife's MacMini downstairs from my iMac upstairs. Since I maintain her computer totally, this is a real convenience.

BTW, it seems that my Airport Extreme case is MUCH warmer than the MacMini. Is this normal?

Again, thanks for your support. This forum is really a great resource for an old PC user but a new Mac user.

Regards,
    L