Need networking support!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Spute, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Spute macrumors newbie

I have 2 Imacs on a wireless network (AE router). I also have 2 PC's that are connected via ethernet. I cannot see the PC's yet the PC's can see each other.

Any thoughts on how to get the PC shared files accessible on my Macs?

2. wpotere Guest

Download and install Bonjour (from Apple's site) for windows. They will then show up in your mac.

3. Spute thread starter macrumors newbie

The only one I see is Print Services for Windows. Is that the one I need?

4. wpotere Guest

Yes, it will add Bonjour....

5. chachawpi macrumors member

You also need to make sure that the Wi-Fi AP is acting as a "Layer 2 Bridge" to the Ethernet network. I've never used Apple networking equipment, so I don't know if this is done by default or not. I know on some high end routers like SonicWALL it is not.

6. Spute thread starter macrumors newbie

Didn't work. Message said it is a Windows application.

7. wpotere Guest

Did you install it on your windows computers? They are the ones that need it, not your Macs.

8. mwhities macrumors 6502a

You need to install that on your Windows systems so your Macs can see it on the network.

9. Heb 7:4 macrumors regular

I'm having a similar problem since upgrading to Lion. 2 PCs, one running Windows 7 and one XP, but since upgrading to Lion the Mac can see the PCs, the PCs can see each other, but the PCs can't see the Mac.

Driving me crazy :(

Have checked sharing settings, all on same workgroup, etc, but just cannot get the PCs to see the Mac :mad:

10. wpotere Guest

Firewall?

11. panzer06, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

If they are Windows 7 systems you definitely need to turn off the Windows Firewall in the control panel. Also, to get at files on the Mac from my PC I have to login to the Mac using the systemname\username and password i.e.:

MY-IMAC\panzer06 (I had to use all caps for the system name)
    I assume an ip address would work as well.

Connecting from the Mac to the PC automatically brought up the proper login screen with the PC system name correctly identified. I only had to fill in a valid username and password.

You do have to have sharing turned on to access files on each system.

You can turn on the firewall once you've retrieved whatever files you were looking for.

Don't have Lion on this iMac so I can't say this works with Lion as I've read they made changes to the SMB networking.

Also, not running bonjour

Cheers,

12. Spute thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed Bonjour for printing and it didn't help. I also turned on file sharing on the PC and still nothing.

The aim of getting to the PC was actually to get to files on the external drive hooked up to it. So I moved the drive and plugged in via USB to the back of the AE. Still nothing. I couldn't see it or find it.

I have a drive shared on my router at home and for some reason it was a lot easier to hook up. I am at a loss on this one.

13. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

What version of Windows and did you disable the Windows Firewall?

Cheers,

14. Spute thread starter macrumors newbie

Vista

15. jerry512 macrumors newbie

networking help

couple thing i would check..
    Ip setting on macs, make sure they have the same gateway as the pc, or set to dhcp.

Second, mac's crash a server service on pc's sometimes, fix is to restart pc or restart server service

Third try to ping the pc form the mac, this will check connectivity.

Fourth on mac.. connect to server.. i think its command and k

enter windows username smb: //nameofyourcomputer/username enter windows password

keeping macs networked with pc's is an ongoing battle for me.

good luck

16. reckless2k2 macrumors 6502a

format & sharing

I'm just wondering how the file system is formatted on the external and is it shared through the windows interface when plugged into a windows machine. That's considering that you have an open firewall as well.

17. wpotere Guest

Just checked my setup. I have Windows 7 with firewall and Mac with firewall and it does show up in my finder. So, I am thinking it could be a Vista issue.