need new capture device

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Keebler, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Keebler macrumors 68030

Hi folks,

I've been using a Canopus / Grass Valley ADVC300 for a few years now. It's still working perfectly but I'm getting busier and need another device. I wanted to check what the recommendations are for something similar plus I know technology changes so I wanted to see what was out there.

I had though about another 300, but it's being discontinued. A quick email with Grass Valley indicates a core part isn't being manufactured anymore so it's being discontinued.

I would prefer an external device with Firewire so I can switch between edit suites. A PCI card would be acceptable if no other option is available.

no current need to capture HDMI as such requests usually involved ripping the video files into an editable format using software.

what i do: capture analog VHS, BETA and camcorder tapes.

What i like most about the ADVC300 is the ability to adjust the colour prior to capturing or stop capturing and adjust on the fly. This allows me to easily reduce saturation which often applies to older VHS.
    I've also never had a dropped frame which is just fantastic :)

It also has the line TBC in it although I have a datavideo TBC-1000 I could run to another device from the capture decks.

I had the ADVC100 which also worked perfectly, but it didn't have the colour adjustments so I sold it. I'm considering semi-retiring the 300 and using it only for older tapes and using the ADVC110 for hi8 / digital 8 and miniDV camcorder tapes which generally seem to be just fine.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Cheers,
    Keebler

2. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

3. WRP macrumors 6502a

I use a Matrox MXO2 LE. It is PCI so keep it in mind if no other options are available. They also make a 'mini' version which is ideal for laptop I/O.

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I use the mini version...awesome little piece of hardware. I love the Max technology... makes my job go waaay faster :D

5. Keebler thread starter macrumors 68030

Yup...love the Matrox products. I have the CompressHD card. I'll look into the MX02.

Know what you mean about speed for h.264. :)

6. Richardthe4th macrumors regular

MXO2 mini +1
    Bought the Thunderbolt adapter for my new MacBook Pro, and a Pegasus Promise :cool:

7. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel