need new charger cable for iphone5s.

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Appletise, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Appletise macrumors member

l was going to go for the bog standard cable as shown in first attachment, but the belkin cable is 2.4Amp, as opposed to the bog standard white cable, which l assume is 1.0Amp. does this mean it will charge faster with the belkin cable? If so will it require a higher output usb power plug? as the usb power plugs l have are only 1.0A output. so would the belkin cable be bottle necked with my 1.0A output USB plug? so a more powerful USB plug be required to appreciate the higher output? Are the two USB sockets in my MBPR have a 2.4A making it power compatible to the belkin cable?
    thanks

Attached Files:

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

There won't be a significant difference in charging between the two cables.
    The big difference will be the source power - the little white cube that came with your iPhone, which would be 1.0A maximum. Using a different power source/adapter with more current available will make the difference, and enable faster charging. I don't expect that you will see any difference if you simply swap cables only.
    Either the Belkin, or your original cable will offer faster charging when more power is available. Both will be limited to lower amperage if the power source cannot provide it.
    Ultimately, the iPhone itself is the limiting factor, as it determines the charging rate for its own battery.
    Generally speaking, if more power is available, your iPhone will usually charge more quickly. For that small amount of current, the connecting wire is not a limiting factor.

3. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Neither cable or adapter will make any difference for the 5s. The included Apple adapter will charge it at the fastest possible rate.

4. XRichard23 macrumors regular

^correct. It wasn't until the 6/6plus that the iPhones were capable of receiving more power and thus a faster charge.

5. Appletise thread starter macrumors member

I had 2 iphone 5s standard charger cables, theyre bit flimsy, and one of them had the plastic coating tear months ago, and it just got worse and worse, effecting the internal metal wires, requiring a deliberate push / manipulation of cable at an angle, to charge, so l put duct tape round it, and that really made it worse, so even extensive manipulation and pushing of the cable, it doesnt work, hence my need of another cable.
    Putting amp or power output aside, l believe some charger cables are more durable externally and internally (most small shops here, sell counterfeit "standard" cable chargers for iphones at a fraction of the price, but they last for~ a month, definitely not worth the hassle or price). so is there a cable that you have experience of, or would recommend that is durable externally and internally? l would be willing to pay a small premium for them.
    thanks

6. XRichard23 macrumors regular

The cables at monoprice.com have been rated very highly and are very low priced

7. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

I use an iPad 10w brick and ifrogz 2.1amp lighting cable and my iP6 charges faster.