Need new drives suggestion fro 2009 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bprice, Aug 5, 2012.

1. bprice macrumors member

I have a 2009 i7 27" 2.8 iMac.
    My HD was corrupted and is irreparable so I'm going to replace it.My plans are to replace the HD as the write only drive with at least a 1tb HD then replace the SD with a SSD for the system/app only drive.
    I have two main apps I'll use.
    Logic ...for a balance of live instruments and VI sample library's. I have a separate ext drive for samples and for BU(was used for recording write also).
    I will be getting FCP to make simple music videos but have never used it so I don't know the requirements.
    I don't know exactly what my HD capacity for the apps was but the last I saw I had only used 100gb with a fair amount being files.What are your suggestion/recommended drives for these applications.Thanks.

Butch

2. kennyap macrumors regular

If I were in your place I wouldn't skimp on the size of the HD, especially if working with video. For the SSD you do not need more than 256gb for all your apps. I'd get a 2TB HD (storage), and 256 SSD (system).

3. bprice thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Kenny
    any advice on the brand model pros and cons would be appreciated.I've only bought one HD before… a Seagate Free Agent desk ext. and I'm not super happy about it.Fan is noisy and it doesn't always want to mount.I like the port options though because I needed an ext FW drive.

I prefer something with a solid track record that doesn't heat up madly and get the fan spinning(I record most stuff with a sensitive condenser mic in the same room as the iMac).that is fast and efficient with moderate audio and video work.
    Should 128gb for the SSD be enough for apps?.../I'm not app happy.Again brand and model will be helpful…PLUS the SSD kit for the SD replacement (if one is needed)

4. RedCroissant Suspended

I upgraded my 2009 iMac with a 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm drive and it's been flawless. I would also recommend a 256 GB SSD, but a 3TB HDD just to give you room to grow.

5. kennyap macrumors regular

Brand suggestion: best I can do is recommend OWC www.macsales.com ; I've bought two SSD's (and other stuff) from them and had no problems at all. Not sure if you need a DIY kit (do it yourself) for your model, but if you call OWC their sales department is knowledgeable and helpful, and will walk you through what you need to purchase.